What's new

Wash select II locks up?

SSadmiral

Young buck
Reaction score
Thanks buck eye ! I updated to a coinco vantage acceptor so I'll check on that mdb cable. I'm willing to try anything at this point. I had a double sided Panasonic reader before I switched to cryptopay which seemed to work well. I basically have a whole new unit with the exception of the cabinet.

It froze up again this am.

The weird thing is that each time it "locks up" it exhibits different symptoms. Sometimes all screens are blank, all screens have blocks where letters would be, the speaker makes a tick sound every second, or it just keeps rebooting as if it was losing power and then turning back on. Sometimes it locks up when change is dispensed, or when the voice/speaker is actuated. Each time it's different!

Rebooting is the only thing that works and even then it takes several reboots or a complete reset! New motherboard or not the problem persists. It's like a mutating virus !

It's somewhat comforting that I'm not the only one going crazy with this thing. Hopefully Unitec can read these and get to the bottom of this

getnbusy

Reaction score
WHy not go back to the single sided reader and see if the problem persists ?? If you do that and the problem goes away, you can petition Unitec for a refund. If enough people want their money back, they'll find out why.

SSadmiral

Young buck
Reaction score
I switched to cryptopay swiper last year from a Panasonic dual sided, and Im still having issues. Had a different distributor than my usual out today to "fix" but he did the same thing I do, reboot and reset I'm sure I'll be getting a nice bill for drive time and service call!! He did put a piece of cardboard behind cpu board to prevent arcing and static which I thought was good idea.

is it possible that the motherboard etc was only engineered to work with the single first gen card reader ? Since mine had and had issues with both the dual sided and cryptopay swipers.

I went for a good year with no issues then summer rolls around early June it goes out. I replace motherboard works fine for a week and a half then boom out again. Now it's going out every other day.

I got a call into an electrician hopefully he can find the culprit. Anybody else have any ideas ?

getnbusy

Reaction score
"is it possible that the motherboard etc was only engineered to work with the single first gen card reader ? Since mine had and had issues with both the dual sided and cryptopay swipers. "

I cannot answer that question but I would have to try the single sided reader setup using Unitex cardreader system. If it works without fault, you have grounds for a refund.

SSadmiral

Young buck
Reaction score
"is it possible that the motherboard etc was only engineered to work with the single first gen card reader ? Since mine had and had issues with both the dual sided and cryptopay swipers. "

I cannot answer that question but I would have to try the single sided reader setup using Unitex cardreader system. If it works without fault, you have grounds for a refund.
That's a good idea and would either prove the new readers to be the issue or eliminate them as a possible problem.

To go back to the old reader I would have to start up a new contract $$$ with a merchant service provider then get modem programmed from Unitec. $$$. Uninstall the cryptopay retro kit and then get PCI compliant (test).

I'm of the opinion it has to be under a certain set of circumstances for the unit to lock up. Could be environmental weather related increasing the amount of static electricity. Or heat build up in cabinet, maybe when customer swipes card or pays at the exact same time my hp pump or blowers are coming on it amps drop to low. I think this would be the only way that could explain the extreme frequency of the freezes

SSadmiral

Young buck
Reaction score
Update! My pay station went down again three times over the last month. We've been getting LOTS of rain here so that got me thinking it has to be rain related. Saturday after a break in the storm I opened her up and looked closely at everything with a flashlight and found moisture on the ceiling of the unit! Looks like the ceiling of your bathroom after a hot shower. Left door open for for awhile to dry out then installed a small fan behind bill acceptor For good measure I put a tray of desiccant in as well.

I found two small 3/8" punch out holes on either side of unit that were just tack welded in two spots leaving room for rain water to enter. I have no idea what these are for or why they are even there but I caulked both inside and out of these. I also caulked the bottom of the pedestal where it meets the concrete pad on all sides.

So far so good to think I spent thousands $$ on this and all it needed was $5 tube of caulk.

Hope this helps somebody

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Update! My pay station went down again three times over the last month. We've been getting LOTS of rain here so that got me thinking it has to be rain related. Saturday after a break in the storm I opened her up and looked closely at everything with a flashlight and found moisture on the ceiling of the unit! Looks like the ceiling of your bathroom after a hot shower. Left door open for for awhile to dry out then installed a small fan behind bill acceptor For good measure I put a tray of desiccant in as well.

I found two small 3/8" punch out holes on either side of unit that were just tack welded in two spots leaving room for rain water to enter. I have no idea what these are for or why they are even there but I caulked both inside and out of these. I also caulked the bottom of the pedestal where it meets the concrete pad on all sides.

So far so good to think I spent thousands $$ on this and all it needed was $5 tube of caulk.

Hope this helps somebody
Thanks, keep us posted. Mine has not locked up in several months. I would look for the evidence of excessive moisture when it does.