What's new

Wash Select 11 vs Hamilton with POS

Shorco1

Reaction score
I've been approached by a convenience store owner to sell car washes at his pumps. I have a Hamilton Goldline and need a pos with a remote. The Hamilton add ons are very expensive and at this point I cannot justify the cost or payback. I checked with Unitec about their Wash Select 11 with pos and remote. Much more tolerable on price than Hamilton. I am considering buying used Unitec equipment at a cost savings over Hamilton. My question to you is, have any of you partnered with a convenience store for this type of operation? The store I'm in talking stages with is about 1/4 mile away. Thanks very much for your attention.

mac

Reaction score
I recently added Unitec's remote POS to a WS2. I swear this is black magic. It works fine but don't ask me how it works. In this case the station gets a buck for each wash sold and transfers the money collected at the pumps to the wash owner.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I recently added Unitec's remote POS to a WS2. I swear this is black magic. It works fine but don't ask me how it works. In this case the station gets a buck for each wash sold and transfers the money collected at the pumps to the wash owner.
How far from the wash was the gas station?

Bill Manke

Reaction score
Ken
I'm looking at doing this at one of my washes. Mine is connected to the store so I won't need wireless. I will be doing a Standard change XP Paystation and Pos. They do also make a wireless remote pos. It is a costly change but if I can get it all worked out I will give it a try.

mac

Reaction score
Ric, it's just a couple hundred yards, but I don't think there is any real limit on the distance. It is not a wireless system, no radio link involved. And I think you can do more than one remote to the same wash.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I have no POS experience, but after long term experience with unitecs and 10 months of owning two Hamilton machines I prefer the unitecs. Both machines are very reliable, the Unitec just has more built in features ( keypad accounts, accounting reports) that makes it easier on me. Unitec just really nails you on parts, though.

Shorco1

Reaction score
The wash is located about 1/4 mile from the convenience store and on the same side of the street.

Shorco1

Reaction score
The wash is located about 1/4 mile from the convenience store and on the same side of the street.
I am considering two methods of discounts at the pump. The one that would produce more customers, in my estimation, is giving .15 cents off per gallon with max of 20 gallons. The other would be the standard $1.00 off with gas purchase. Considering that the wash is located 1/4 mile away the .15 cents is my choice. People are acutely aware price and this would catch their attention. This is not an inexpensive mod if I go with the Hamilton or WS II. There are many things to evaluate before I make a decision. Will the expense justify the end result?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Not many vehicles could hold 20 gallons. You will be limiting yourself to trucks and SUVs.

Reds

Reaction score
20 gallons x 15 cents is $3 off on gas purchase. My truck takes 22 gallons. $3 off would be a serious discount that would certainly attract me. But from an owners standpoint that is a big discount on a single wash. Would you limit it to your top wash? Are your prices high enough to tolerate a $3 discount?

Shorco1

Reaction score
Not many vehicles could hold 20 gallons. You will be limiting yourself to trucks and SUVs.

My thread said a Max of 20 gallons. The most it would cost me is 20 gallons at .15 or $3.00. My Volvo fullup is 16 gallons.

Shorco1

Reaction score
20 gallons x 15 cents is $3 off on gas purchase. My truck takes 22 gallons. $3 off would be a serious discount that would certainly attract me. But from an owners standpoint that is a big discount on a single wash. Would you limit it to your top wash? Are your prices high enough to tolerate a $3 discount?
No, I don't think I would limit the washes. Most of the washes purchased are the top two, $9 and $10. I would expect the same percentages on wash selection.

mac

Reaction score
Ken, I would guestimate that you would get at least $1K more in sales per month. That's around what I see here. That should give you a payback in 2 years or less.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Sorry. I should have read your post on the number of gallons allowed more closely. I have seen several c-store chains around here do this very successfully but they only allow it on the top wash. I have also seen some offer a free soft drink or coffee with the purchase of a wash and do well also.

Shorco1

Reaction score
Hi Mac, Your increase in revenue looks good and thank you for the feedback. There is little data for what I want to do and your information is helpful. It is expensive to upgrade to do but in today's economy marketing is the key.