What's new

Wash frozen up - 2 days

Randy

Reaction score
The best advice I can give you would be to get rid of the weep system you now and install a Dixmor Weepmizer with a Normally open solenoid valve. I recommend a diaphragm type valve, like an ASCO 8210G34. With a Normally open valve if you lose power the weep valve will open preventing a freeze up. A normally closed weep system isn’t going to cut it when the power goes off and you can’t rely on battery power to maintain the system for any length of time. DC to AC inverters are very inefficient at converting DC power into AC power, I don’t recall how much power the inverter consumes but it’s a lot of DC power.

I’d install a propane ventless Propane heater with a Thermostat. You might have to order it online, I think they are illegal in California, I know they aren’t legal here in Western Washington.

Most small generators can be converted to run on Propane or Natural gas. You don’t how ever want to install one inside your equipment room without first contacting the local Fire Marshall or building inspector.

Reds

Reaction score
Besides a normally open solenoid valve and a gas heater a temperature alarm that calls you when the temp drops or when the power goes out is also a big help. The alarm will also help you if your doors stick open on a cold night. I turn on my gas heaters in my 2 equipment rooms whenever the temp goes into the single digits. Also keep on hand 80 lb propane tanks, torpedo heaters, and a welder/generator.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you for all of the help and suggestions.

News flash- the power is STILL out. I saw the crew working only 100ft away, they thought it would be on by now but when I returned to the wash there was no power and they were long gone. Darkness, below freezing-- I don't blame them.

I do have a weepmizer but it is configured for a normally closed valve. When I chase down the normally open one I'll modify the weep mizer to work with it.

The ventless heater seems pretty simple-- my best guess on the generator is that I might have to put it on the roof. And build an enclosure so some jackass doesn't try to run off with it.

I *should* be up and running tomorrow-- hopefully with no serious damage. I'm running the tank top propane heater in the equipment room again tonight and I'm pretty leery of that-- will be glad when it's not needed any more.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Freeze

Thought I'd make a final post on this topic. I have now converted my weep solenoid from normally closed to normally open. One of many changes I am making post-power-outage.

If you own a wash that gets cold enough to require weep, I'd suggest ensuring your weep solenoid is the normally open type *before* an emergency hits. Since big storms tend to mix freezing weather plus power outages, a normally closed solenoid can be a problem.

I have a pretty good battery backup system at the wash, but even it got overwhelmed by a power outage that lasted for ... 4 1/2 days. Now, if there is a future outage, at least I don't have to worry about the weep or frozen hoses ....