What's new

warranty on car damage

Jud

Reaction score
A few days ago I asked if anyone experienced problems with the rear lens blowing out of an 03 Cadillac CTS. I thank everyone for their response and am amazed at the number of incidents and the reputation this model car has. I am having a hard time convincing myself to agree to an $800 warranty payout when the problem is obviously a manufacture defect. I guess one question is for those of you that already experienced this problem, would you make payout again? For any chronic problem like this, what is the argument for not paying, or for that matter, what is the strongest argument saying it should be paid? Thanks, Jud

JimmyJaffa

Reaction score
We have a sign posted at our AutoSentrys, with a picture of a CTS saying that we are not responsible for the center rear light. It is a manufactures defect (poor choice of glue). You can not find a used lenses to replace the damaged one and there are 50 or more people looking for one. We send the customers to Cadillac for them to warrant the defect. If the customer wants, we will put tape over the lense for them. You have to wash a lot of cars to make up the $800.
I think there is a posting on the ICA damage board about the CTS.

In 2007, this was posted on Autocare Forum:

Originally Posted by Jud
I recently received a waranty complaint of an owner of a 2003 Cadilac CTS saying that my RYKO softgloss busted the plastic assembly that surrounds the rear license plate which is also the lens for the back-up lights. I watched very closely on my vidio and could not see any damage occure during the wash, but did see pieces come off during the blow dry. The owner came back and said that Cadilac wants over $800 just for the parts plus labor for paint and installation. I'm a little fuzzy on what all is included because I have not had a chance to inspect the car yet. I do have some of the plastic lens pieces and I think they show fitgue evidence from age. I have not agreed to pay the $800 plus yet.
Two weeks later I found an exact same lens cover in my touch free wash bay, but nobody has made a complaint. I found this second discovery very odd, and now I am wondering how many others have experienced a problem with this model car? Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Thanks, Jud

and robtl said at the same time:

Well get this, I own a 05 cts and just last weekend I went thru a wash to check it out and found that my back lens had been blown off, well missing,
I checked on e-bay and found only one listed at BIN for over 500.00. used. then being like always I thought about a week later, to check at the wash I used and there it was, leaning against the front wall. just had to glue it back in place......This is a very big problem with this model.

from ICA http://www.carwash.org/searchcenter/...cadillac cts

bonanza1

Reaction score
A few days ago I asked if anyone experienced problems with the rear lens blowing out of an 03 Cadillac CTS. I thank everyone for their response and am amazed at the number of incidents and the reputation this model car has. I am having a hard time convincing myself to agree to an $800 warranty payout when the problem is obviously a manufacture defect. I guess one question is for those of you that already experienced this problem, would you make payout again? For any chronic problem like this, what is the argument for not paying, or for that matter, what is the strongest argument saying it should be paid? Thanks, Jud
I have a express wash and have had a couple of these panels come off (bad design gm) I am also in the auto body business for about 23 years and see these cars come thru the shop all the time.GM has changed the design the new panels come color coded to match the car, i purchased a new panel 2 months ago and cost was $535.00 from gm ,I have a notice up at the tunnel wash on CTS REAR PANELS along with GRAND AM mirrors.If we have an older cts with the clear panel come thru we put a small strip of tape along the top edge to keep the dryers from pulling it off,Good luck.