What's new

Wand On The Floor vs. In The Holster In Cold Weather

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I closed my wash for the first time in 9 years because of the sub zero temps. I opened up the weep and laid the guns on the bay floor instead of in their holsters. My past experience has me thinking that this might be a better option because most of my freeze-ups have occurred when the holster became frozen restricting the water flow. No one should be able to enter the wash with the cones and yellow tape (but I wouldn't be surprised if somehow somebody did) Therefore, I am not worried about the guns laying on the floor. Any thoughts on this?
Buzzie

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Oh, by the way, I have floor heat and guns are pointed into metal grate.

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score
I took the HP guns and foam brush handles off and turned Off the power to the meter box.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I tried that years ago. Some butthead came in and pointed all the guns out the bay into my driveway.
In the morning I had a freaking ice skating rink in my driveways.
Next time I looped the hose and gun around the boom arm and aimed it into the pit.
Next morning I had a mound of ice stuck on the grate (base about 1-2 ft. wide) all the way up to the frozen gun in 2 bays.
Looked pretty interesting.
I like the idea of just shutting all bays down, bring the boom hoses into the eqp. room and wait it out now.

Randy

Reaction score
I tried that years ago. Some butthead came in and pointed all the guns out the bay into my driveway.
In the morning I had a freaking ice skating rink in my driveways.
Next time I looped the hose and gun around the boom arm and aimed it into the pit.
Next morning I had a mound of ice stuck on the grate (base about 1-2 ft. wide) all the way up to the frozen gun in 2 bays.
Looked pretty interesting.
I like the idea of just shutting all bays down, bring the boom hoses into the eqp. room and wait it out now.
This is why I blow everything out with air and pump windshield washer fluid into the system and then turn off everything. No Ice build up

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I took the HP guns and foam brush handles off and turned Off the power to the meter box.

This is why I blow everything out with air and pump windshield washer fluid into the system and then turn off everything. No Ice build up
This is what I just did also. I would like to keep all my hp guns and foam brushes. :)

I also cut the water at the road. Was that a good idea? Well it's to late anyway. :) I am telling you Randy it is super cold! It got to 9 here! You probably have never seen that before? LOL :)

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
Just an undate.... I didn't have any problems at all.... Which is good! Except I didn't get any money while I was closed? LOL :)

Just a note.... I did forget to blow out my ro water lines which I use pex on. But again they were fine.

Also it got down to 9 and a high in the mid 20s for 3 days.

Randy did call me and gave me some pointers but he was to late. Like flushing with windshield washer fluid.

wendy's wash

Reaction score
Have 6 bay ss. Tie strap gun handles open. Lay on ground up against bay wall, lay Foam Brush also against wall and lay Triple Shine at wall too. Put 2 - 55gal drums at both drives with a sign saying wash bays closed due to freeze. Turn all power off to bays. Use air to pump out water. Have a T in every Foam Brush line going out to bays. Connected all 6 lines to a block and all I have to do is connect air hose at air hose fitting. Turn valve for each bay and pumps out all fluids. Same for Spot Free and Triple Shine. This took my wife and I last week about 18 minutes total. We have two way radios and she is in bays and sounds horn when only air comes out of line.Then she goes to next bay. Have to do the same thing tonight. This time I will be timing to see how long it will take. We should be faster tonight.