What's new

Wall Paint - Recomendations

Etowah

washregal

Reaction score
Looking at painting my 6 bay plus automatic wall board / and aluminum ceiling panels - What would be recommended for long lasting shine paint for the walls? I would be painting over wall board. I would want to wash down with acetone first than apply my final coat .. Is this the best method? Any products that have been proven with great success would be appreciated.

DakotaHoskins

Reaction score
We put up white courgated panels in all of our bays a couple of months ago. Painting the bays was a loosing battle. Customers love the bright white walls.

mac

Reaction score
Just for kicks, you might want to find a Sherwin Williams store that caters to commercial painters. Painting can be done, but (and there's always a but) you need to get the store rep out and have him look at it. Surface prep is the key. For every hour of painting, ecpect about three hours of prep. I did my warehouse floor with one of their epoxys and I get great compliments on it.

washregal

Reaction score
I have FRP that has been painted in the past - It has been 11 years since painted and has held up fairly well - Looking to repaint this with an industrial coating - I get the prep and time.. just the expense of FRP makes painting it ma better solution for me.. am I thinking straight here?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Just curious - have any of you guys ever tried a 2-part solid epoxy? I have no idea if it'd work, but it sure seems popular on garage journal as a floor coating

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by "solid" epoxy, but I always used 2 part epoxy, just as the mfr and paint store instructed. The end result was always pretty much a disaster. It doesn't seem to stay on any better than cheap stuff.

Scottyk

Reaction score
I had a local company come and look at my wash and give me a quote for it. Small 2 bay SS no auto or anything fancy. Sandblasting, prep and paint was around 11k total for inside and out. PPG Amerlock 2 epoxy with durathane topcoat. Right about 2000 sqft. This is not in my budget at the moment so I have not had this done, cannot attest to the quality or durability of it.

Randy

Reaction score
You don't ever want to paint your car wash, you'll be painting it forever if you do.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
At 11k for the whole thing you should get a price for FRP for doing the inside of the bays before painting.
Then think about tackling the outside next.

Scottyk

Reaction score
For the budget Im working with I will be doing it myself and using some sort of paneling. undecided if it will be extrutech, farmtek panels, or even just some outdoor steel roofing panels.

L

loewem

I agree with those who have said not to paint. I wasn't totally on board, but went along with painting the auto bay at my wash. Went to Sherwin Williams and was told what to do. Myself and a partner in the wash spent over a week and about $1500 on preparation, primer and paint. It hasn't been on for a year yet and it is peeling and chipping. 99% of the peeling and chipping is lower than four feet, so I'm planning on putting FRP panels to four feet high.

Randy

Reaction score
Last spring a new car wash owner purchased a car wash. It was a beautiful red brick building. The red brick was badly soiled and was in need of a good acid wash cleaning. He decided to paint the building, I advised him to not paint the building but wash it with acid first. He went ahead painted the building with a very expensive 2-part epoxy paint product. Today 9 months later the building looks like $hit and he admits he made a huge mistake and wishes he had never painted the building because he’s stuck now.

lag

Reaction score
I had a local company come and look at my wash and give me a quote for it. Small 2 bay SS no auto or anything fancy. Sandblasting, prep and paint was around 11k total for inside and out. PPG Amerlock 2 epoxy with durathane topcoat. Right about 2000 sqft. This is not in my budget at the moment so I have not had this done, cannot attest to the quality or durability of it.
I sent you a PM

pgrzes

Reaction score
I am on the other side of this fence. I have a 7/1 that we took down old discolored frp panels a little over 10 years ago. Cleaned scrubbed scraped everything and painted with MAB SeaShore white paint. We wash walls with nuwall 2-3 times a year and clean daily. We repaint every 4-5 years as needed. Has held up great for us. Frp discolors over time, unless you get a solid plastic panel on the walls any extruded plastic wall is going to get holes in it, so every method of wallcovering has its +'s and-'s. I am rehabbing a 4/1 now and had the walls blasted and we painted with a good blockfiller and covered that with Sherwin Williams Resilliance(supposed replacement for MAB SeaShore)? I dont think its as good but still has held up well in my wash. I am doing the ceilings with an extruded product Trusscore.

soapy

Reaction score
In the past I have had luck using paint on new block walls doing the following. After allowing the new block wall to cure for at least 28 days I applied 2 coat of block sealer/swimming pool sealer. Then I applied 2 part epoxy with 2 coats using Sherwin WIlliams products. Still on and no pealing after 20 years but it did start to look dingy so I applied FRP or Farm Tech white plastic wall board over it eventually. I would never attempt to do walls that were not new.