What's new

voltage spikes - snubber / transorb / zener diode ??

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Does anybody use IDX snubbers or some other form of protection on your 24V electronics to protect against voltage spikes? Exactly where do you use them?

I'm asking because I've had a few failures of electronics lately, and I'm checking into the possibility that I'm not adequately protected electronically.

This article on the IDX website about transient voltage spikes has my attention.
I'm looking for advice - what (if anything) do you guys do to prevent damage from voltage spikes. Also... is this a real problem that I need to be worried about?

Eric H

Reaction score
This is a timely, albiet too late, post for me. There was a lightning strike very close to one of my washes on Monday that took out an LED7, EtowahValley quickpay timer, air machine timer, Weepmiser and Rowe power supply. Looking for some type of protection. If anyone posting to paul's question has an answer that would cover lightning stikes as well as Paul's issues that would be helpful

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Most of that was gobbledegook to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if spikes wasn't the issue when I was having so much trouble with my IDX acceptors losing their programming. I wish that they would have attempted to help me by explaining this stuff and the possible remedy, but all they would do was keep sending my acceptors back to me time and time again, only to repeat the cycle every couple of weeks. I tried numerous times to get them to hold my hand, but to no avail. I finally gave up on them and replaced with Microcoin QLs. I sold the IDXs on ebay and all has been right in the world since then.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Most of that was gobbledegook to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if spikes wasn't the issue when I was having so much trouble with my IDX acceptors losing their programming. I wish that they would have attempted to help me by explaining this stuff and the possible remedy, but all they would do was keep sending my acceptors back to me time and time again, only to repeat the cycle every couple of weeks. I tried numerous times to get them to hold my hand, but to no avail. I finally gave up on them and replaced with Microcoin QLs. I sold the IDXs on ebay and all has been right in the world since then.
I.B Washin & others,

The IDXs work great in my laundromat, dog wash & outside vacuums environment. The Parker & GinSan Single Coin Acceptor worked flawlessly in our car wash environment for over 25 years. IDX in the bays with the extra humidity with overhead doors shut out of necessity here in North Dakota ... I am sad to say intermittent problems did occur. Since the plan is to do a major remanufacture on over 27 more washers in our laundromat to multi coin acceptance with multi price options depending on the # of water fills ... somewhere down the road we will be in the market for the laundromat friendly IDXs. So anybody planning on selling IDXs somewhere down the road ... keep us in mind. I have a friend with a 3D printer & we appear to have the housing issue solved for the IDX long drop coin mech. Based on the positive experience we had with the Single Coin Drops ... it could be an improvement to give out & accept dollar coins only & eliminate quarters completely. 2nd thought ... based on possible future changes in metal content of whatever coin ... there could be a need for multiple acceptance during a transition period.

I have had electronic experts tell me that in an environment with more humidity, electronics usually fair better ... any comments?

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

bigleo48

Reaction score
This is a timely, albiet too late, post for me. There was a lightning strike very close to one of my washes on Monday that took out an LED7, EtowahValley quickpay timer, air machine timer, Weepmiser and Rowe power supply. Looking for some type of protection. If anyone posting to paul's question has an answer that would cover lightning stikes as well as Paul's issues that would be helpful
Why is your weepmiser plugged in during the summer? I completely disconnect mine from power (110 & 24v) and close my weep water ball valves.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Paul,

I'd have n experienced electrician have a look. Your 24vac is simply a transformer tap from your AC service, so if you want to protect against surges from the power company side, then a whole service surge suppressor is what your looking for. However, ground loops, ground current, noise can come from all kinds of sources. So you need to find out the the source of your problems before you start implementing solutions. Personally, I'd protect the high side before worrying about the low (24v).

Eric H

Reaction score
Why is your weepmiser plugged in during the summer? I completely disconnect mine from power (110 & 24v) and close my weep water ball valves.
I close the ball valve and disconnect the solenoid but leave the weepmizer plugged in so I know the outside temp.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far.

Dont know, but I wonder if a TVSS on your main electrical panel would be just as effective.
Yes I am looking into a TVSS, but from what I'm finding out I need to cover both externally generated (service) spikes, and smaller internal spikes. And it appears that although the externals are of larger severity, the smaller internals have a significant long term effect/cost, perhaps more significant.

In addition, one of my timers failed while I was at the wash last week. Sunny day, no construction in the area, customer switched from presoak to HP Soap and the timer went blank. The EV support guy says oh, you should add a fuse. :mad:
I know, could be any number of causes...
you need to find out the the source of your problems before you start implementing solutions
Agreed... but sometimes its foolish to not implement cheap solutions & protections while you are investigating. This is just one of several I'm checking out.

A couple hours of internet research does indicate that transient voltage spikes occur quite a bit on our CW circuits, so it leaves me wondering why something like snubbers are not standard equipment at all washes. In fact, it kind of ticks me off that they are not built into every piece of electronic equipment that we buy... unless I'm wrong and they are not necessary, but that does not appear to be the case.

Thats why I'm asking if anybody uses them.
Will probably just call idx monday & see if I can understand what they tell me, then order some.