What's new

Voltage Spike Snub Experience?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Below is a pic of a bank of an Automation Direct's product within our 10+ year old dog wash. AD's new version is ZIPLink Transorb Module: 8-pole (PN# ZL-TSD8-120) | AutomationDirect Here is a picture. Any thoughts or better yet actual experience ... on how these kinds of devices might help prevent electronic failures some ... within the variety of car wash that are out there.

Attachments

Last edited:

PrecisionPyro

Reaction score
It appears their just using double zener diodes to clip voltage spikes and dips. It would be beneficial for leveling out any inrush current with solenoids. It would dissipate any "extra" voltage as well. It's a fairly low tech, low cost way to regulate voltage near nominal.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
A while back I had flakey unexplained issues with my dixmor timers. After reading up on zener diodes, I installed "snubbers" as one of several things I did to reduce electronics issues. Did they help? Well, according to my research they did. Yes my issues are gone, but I honestly dont know which of the changes I implemented solved the problem, or if it was a cumulative solution.
Bottom line, if I was having unusual electronics issues I would definitely install them again. Or, I suppose, if I had unusually sensitive or expensive equipment - or life supporting equipment.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
So do people normally just install one diode on the timed output? IIRC IDX sells a single snubber, or they did.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
My experience is similar to Paul's, at one particular installation... a relatively rural site with occasional electrical anomalies from the REA. (I think they had problems keeping their squirrels alive?) :ROFLMAO:
IIRC, installing IDX's ST300 snubber terminal blocks in the coin boxes eliminated the problem.
Back then, I believe 12 terminals cost about $20 each.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I personally was encouraged by 3 of the 4 nephews who worked for me & who happened to be more into electronics & computers than most 15 year olds ... to invest in a very expensive oscilloscope. I resisted & never did. Any of my fellow operators went to the length of actually measuring electrical spiking etc from solenoids & possibly motors? I bought the snubbers as a precaution ... because of our specific dog wash's 12 PLC modules making a variety of 96 IOs including RTDs, & analog controls. Ideally, most equipment such as Dixmor Timers &/or PLCs would have their own built in proper voltage suppression. I think some electronics tout "optical isolation" that is not a good as the manufacturer pretends to have!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
It appears their just using double zener diodes to clip voltage spikes and dips. It would be beneficial for leveling out any inrush current with solenoids. It would dissipate any "extra" voltage as well. It's a fairly low tech, low cost way to regulate voltage near nominal.
I wonder what "voltage-rating-size-capacity" double zener diodes would have to be to work with our specific 24VAC car wash equipment??? I HVAC equipment tends to 24VAC too so maybe that industry would have that specific snubber???

It seems like there are some intricate math calculations that only some select few elite engineers get into at that level. I suppose they then tend to use their spendy oscilloscope to verify how accurate the specification of the specific double zener diodes used for 24VAC vs some other voltage loads???