What's new

Visiting the manifolds again...

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
What do you guys think of these aluminum manifolds? They are 20% of the cost of the stainless steel ones I found...

If the link doesn't work, search for this part number: 5975K12

Appreciate the feedback...need to get this figured out prior to it getting cold...yeah I know...who wants to think about the white stuff...but with this crazy weather, it will be here before we know it...Thanks!

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have a Magic Wand self serve system at one wash. It developed a leak where a manifold screwed in the bottom of the soap tank. The whole wash would have to be shut down to repair it so I waited for a rainy day to check it out. There was a 100% chance of rain forecast so the afternoon before I decided to look and see what I may need to have on hand. While examining the leak I touched the manifold and it just fell off. Of course the soap came gushing out all over the place and the wash was down for the count. I quickly blocked all bays and got the water shut off. Much to my amazement, that manifold that looked like stainless steel was aluminum. The threads had completely corroded away and were gone. There was no broken piece in the tank nipple, nothing. I quickly grabbed a few brass fittings and made one and had the wash back up and running in about an hour. That was the first and last time I had seen aluminum plumbing in a car wash. Of course, I will never have any again.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't realize that 6061 would corrode like that. Has anyone else experienced anything like that?

MEP001

Reaction score
Some of the manifolds on the Vector are aluminum, probably for cost savings since most of the ports are 1". The last time I had a fitting out of it I saw a lot of corrosion/erosion inside. The tank heater was installed on a 1 1/2" aluminum bulkhead which sprung a massive leak after about two years. I've also seen some SS equipment with aluminum fittings that just disintegrate from corrosion. I would go with brass or stainless. Aluminum is fine for oil or air, but not water and water-based chemicals.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I've never seen aluminum last when used as the "plumbing" for carwash chemical delivery. Have you checked out the stainless manifolds from National Pride? They were reasonably priced when I got them 6 years ago.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I have a Magic Wand self serve system at one wash. It developed a leak where a manifold screwed in the bottom of the soap tank. The whole wash would have to be shut down to repair it so I waited for a rainy day to check it out. There was a 100% chance of rain forecast so the afternoon before I decided to look and see what I may need to have on hand. While examining the leak I touched the manifold and it just fell off. Of course the soap came gushing out all over the place and the wash was down for the count. I quickly blocked all bays and got the water shut off. Much to my amazement, that manifold that looked like stainless steel was aluminum. The threads had completely corroded away and were gone. There was no broken piece in the tank nipple, nothing. I quickly grabbed a few brass fittings and made one and had the wash back up and running in about an hour. That was the first and last time I had seen aluminum plumbing in a car wash. Of course, I will never have any again.
Same experience here, except it was old Kwik equipment and the fitting was brass.

I touched it and the manifold under the soap tank hit the floor. Completely corroded. Nothing to clean out in the nipple, just screw more fittings in and keep on running.

Stick to stainless.

Kevin James

Reaction score
What do you guys think of these aluminum manifolds? They are 20% of the cost of the stainless steel ones I found...

Appreciate the feedback...need to get this figured out prior to it getting cold...yeah I know...who wants to think about the white stuff...but with this crazy weather, it will be here before we know it...Thanks!
Come on give me a break!! Aluminum manifolds! The only thing there good for is Air. When you select a manifold, look at the chemical that you’re using, Stainless steel or Brass are the only ones I’d use.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Come on give me a break!! Aluminum manifolds! The only thing there good for is Air. When you select a manifold, look at the chemical that you’re using, Stainless steel or Brass are the only ones I’d use.
Obviously I didn't have your level of knowledge when I asked the question. I've seen 6061 used a lot of places and didn't realize it doesn't have the corrosion resistance necessary for car washing. Thanks...

Jerry33

Reaction score
sorry for the late reply, but have been away for a while. Just wanted to add my 2-cents worth for a cheap fix to the magic wand manifolds. i had the exact problem of the manifold breaking off when checking for a leak. obviously didn't have a spare so in a panic, visited a nearby hardware store and replace with all plastic; luckily they had the 4-way fittings. worked great (with some difficulty of cleaning the alum. threads out of the tank outlet). have now replaced all my tank manifolds with plastic - maybe 10 years ago.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score

What are you going to use the manifold for? Low Pressure? High Pressure? I have seen some PVC manifolds that looked good but would not use them for high pressure.