What's new

Vending machine- worth replacing or repair

Joswhaha

Reaction score
Howdy y’all,
I am in the process of purchasing a car wash and it has a vending machine that is currently not working. I wanted to know if y’all thought it was worth replacing or if repair is a possibility. I am attaching a picture of the machine. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
I think it might be time to replace that vending machine, it looks pretty rough. Is it bricked into the wall? I can't tell what kind of vending machine it is.

Joswhaha

Reaction score
It is built in, the rest of the equipment is Jim Coleman so it is probably whatever they install. I could probably change the plexiglass and paint it up but I didn't know if vending is lucrative enough to replace it or get some of those single item vending machines.

Randy

Reaction score
You could try cleaning it up. I think your biggest problem might be the control board and the insides of the vender. It looks like someone removed the bill validator.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since that vending machine looks like it was dragged up from the bottom of a river I would probably replace it.. It's hard to go wrong with an AMS visi combo / sense it machine. I would look them up and maybe you can even find a used one. You'll get varying opinions here about how lucrative vending is and I think it depends on your location, your selection of items and your pricing.

Joswhaha

Reaction score
Since that vending machine looks like it was dragged up from the bottom of a river I would probably replace it.. It's hard to go wrong with an AMS visi combo / sense it machine. I would look them up and maybe you can even find a used one. You'll get varying opinions here about how lucrative vending is and I think it depends on your location, your selection of items and your pricing.
I was wondering if that “just out of the river look” meant it was time for a replacement. Or at least time to send it to its rightful home in the river.

washnvac

Reaction score
That is an old wittern horizon 3130/3140 series. All parts are available. The control board is repairable. Parts from VendNet at www.vending.com. I bet you could refurb that machine with sensor/guaranteed vend eyes for about $1000, not including you sanding and painting it. I have three of these machines. They work great.

Joswhaha

Reaction score
I think I am going to try to refurbish this machine. Thanks for the info!

getnbusy

Reaction score
FWIW -- other people may say differently but vending is NOT an income machine. It is a convenience item for your customer. Yeah sure you might make little bit but it will take forever just to get back what you put into refurbing. I bet true profit is less than $1000 per year. Not only that but ordering all that stuff and keeping it in stock. Tryin all sorts of items to seee what people want to buy, and testing all those selections every week. Id spend my money on some bricks and a mason and my time on what is going to pay that note and produce a return that means something. just sayin

slash007

Reaction score
FWIW -- other people may say differently but vending is NOT an income machine. It is a convenience item for your customer. Yeah sure you might make little bit but it will take forever just to get back what you put into refurbing. I bet true profit is less than $1000 per year. Not only that but ordering all that stuff and keeping it in stock. Tryin all sorts of items to seee what people want to buy, and testing all those selections every week. Id spend my money on some bricks and a mason and my time on what is going to pay that note and produce a return that means something. just sayin
Not totally true. Many locations make decent $ on vending. All depends on your area and how busy the wash is.

MEP001

Reaction score
I bet true profit is less than $1000 per year.
Vending income can vary immensely. I've heard from guys on here who make next to nothing on it. I gross about $800 a month on two vendors, towels and Armor-All protectant pads.

Joswhaha

Reaction score
So upon further investigation this machine does indeed work.with coins and will dispense products. The bill validator is damaged and not functioning but it looks like I can get a replacement. I’m going to try to buff the hazy plexiglass and shine it up!

Attachments

OurTown

Reaction score
I would recommend replacing it with a UV resistant polycarbonate (Lexan) and not acrylic. (Plexiglass)

Polycarbonate is basically bullet proof "glass" and acrylic is more prone to cracking. Polycarbonate is softer though so be careful what you clean it with.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can order scratch-resistant Lexan from tapplastics.com. If you decide to try and polish it, try Blue Magic metal polish cream. It's so fine an abrasive it will shine up old plexiglass/Lexan.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I would not spend multiple Thousands on a new vendor. If you can repair that one for lets say $500 you can try vending but prepare to be underwhelmed with the revenue and find it more of a nuisance than anything else.. If the wash is in a low income area it might do better.