What's new

Vending Blog #15--Car Wash Marketing OR Car Wash Vending??

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
This season of the year, with all the college Bowl Games and NFL Play-Offs, tries the patience of even an old football jock like me. I love football, but it does get tedious after many days in front of the tube. Let’s admit it, some of the match-ups are really boring to watch. So my mind wanders and searches for insights into the future or what my “crystal ball” might envision for me. A concept that popped into my mind recently was “are we vending product or are we marketing value-added services to our car wash customers?”

Car wash vending of paper towels, fragrance trees & leafs, and sponge packs using drop-shelf mechanical (or now electronic) coin acceptance has been around since the early days of self serve car washing and has never really been challenged until recently. Some operators have also installed soda/drink machines at their washes for the convenience of the customer. No big money maker, but it has enhanced the experience at the wash.

The advent of the new credit card technology to sell smart cards, gift cards, token packs or IBA token note packs at the car wash site has changed the whole concept from selling products only (paper towels, fragrance trees & leafs, and sponge packs) to one of “marketing” all these products plus some value-added services to enhance the customer's experience at the car wash. We are seeing more and more operators use these computer-controlled “marketing” machines (WYSIWYG--Wiziwig) to sell token packs or IBA token note packs, gift cards, sodas, Red Bull, water, Gatorade, ad infinitum from the “ 24/7/365 attendant” available to your customer. All of these services enhance the loyalty of the customer to your wash and keep them coming back on a continuing basis. It is a win-win relationship for everyone.

Uncle Sam :)