What's new

Vector Issue

Etowah

imserve

Reaction score
Anyone have this issue on a Vector?

Intermittent BF Jam/BF Prox error at the end of wash when homing. Always happens at end of wash only ( at the end of homing movement)...all prox sensors and encoders indicate normally

Thanks for any help

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First see if prox is properly adjusted. Since it is happening at the same spot / same time during wash process you have a clue as to the problem. Sometimes, as things wear on machinery, proxes don't see targets properly. If there is an input signal for the prox that you can watch as the machine homes itself that will tell you if the cable / relay / prox is working.

imserve

Reaction score
So, prox sensor replaced and adjusted, cable replaced. Still does it....
thinking it could be butterfly gears having too much play....when it stops at homing position momentum causes arms to swing a bit, but they have always done so to some degree.

Seems to do more often when last pass finishes at back

imserve

Reaction score
Still not solved....
Any ideas ? I can now frequently make it error by pressing butterfly home

Only thing related to butterfly I haven't changed is the encoder, however it indicates normally

Why is it doing it during homing only?

traveler17

Reaction score
if you replaced prox and cable I would try encoder next. If you don’t have a tech that can help I’d call Belanger

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I have seen the encoder housings crack which will let in water and cause issues. I would inspect for a housing crack. Maybe you also have a leak where water is getting in there near the end of the wash causing the issue when homing...?

garbageman

Reaction score
This can be any number of things from the motor to the collar. You will really need to look deeply into what may look bad. Encoder/housing or gearbox are mostly likely however.

That said, it is doing this at home because it's trying to see the change from the high side of the collar and the low side and back. This quick, short movement is the only time you see this.

Things to check:
1. Gearbox - can you push the arms easily by hand? I've seen them be able to push them all the way closed
2. Is there a lot of up and down slop on the arm? This can be bearings
3. Is the collar rusted/broken/damaged? This is what the BF prox sees
4. separate the motor/gearbox. How does the motor key look? how about the encoder gear?
5. Is there oil leaking out of the gearbox? when you try to turn the gearbox from the input shaft is there a little bit where it doesnt turn?
6. Do you have the old gray colored encoder housing or the e-coat black? If gray, they corrode and crush encoders easily.

FWIW Id put my money on gearbox. I'd get that, the shaft, bearings, collar, hardware at least though. I'd be surprised if it came apart as easily as you're hoping and it's easier to replace the bearings with that all apart.

Good luck