What's new

Vector Cat Pump burning belts

BetterDay

Reaction score
I have two side by side Vectors and one side is burning belts every so often. I can't narrow it down to a particular function because it's happening intermittently. Definitely during a high pressure pass. Could it be one of the Lexair valves giving me problems? I've checked and cleaned those and they seem to be working but don't know if one sticks once in a while. Or is it my cat locking up every so often? I'm stumped.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
when it burns belts is it squealing?

i had that problem and it was a blocked nozzle on my under body pipe. i'd check for a restriction. if there is none. i would :

1. turn power off to hp pump stand and verify off with volt meter

2. remove drive belts

3. clean pulleys and check alignment with straight edge. align if necessary

4. grease fittings on motor shaft where applicable

5. install new belts, reassemble and test

MEP001

Reaction score
If it's burning the belts and not tripping the VF drive, the belts are loose.

mac

Reaction score
You might try just adding an on delay relay to the pump motor starter and set it for one or two seconds. That way the solenoid has time to open before the pump starts. If it works you can buy me a beer at the next show.

MEP001

Reaction score
The Vector uses a VF drive and already delays the start, besides it's controlled by the computer and not a simple voltage input so you can't just add a delay relay to it.

robblackburn

Reaction score
I have same issue on one of my water wizard 2.0 that cannot figure out. The CAT 3535 will burn up a set of belts about every year. As belt ages it will start squealing and then eventually shred it. We have installed new pulley that belt rides on and it is tight. I have several other water wizards and never a problem with belts. It only squeaks when WW does boom only pass and all the side nozzles are off. Would it be possible that I have clogged nozzles as Waxman suggested above and this increased pressure causes squeal ?

Thanks.

Rob

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
+yes i think a restriction in flow will cause a squeal. it has for me. the alignment of pulleys ( motor to pump) is also very important. i do mine with a straightedge when i change out belts.

MEP001

Reaction score
Restriction of flow can cause a squeal, but as I said before the Vector uses a VF drive and will shut down if there's an over-pressure condition. The belts are not tight enough if they slip and burn before that happens.