What's new

Vacuum timer identification

Randy

Reaction score
It looks like a very old Gin-San timer. Did it go bad on you?

TMoliver

Reaction score
Looks like the OEM version of the old GS101 number might not be correct but defiantly a G&S

Dylanbennett

Reaction score
Warranty date on timer is 06 which is the age of the vacuum so I think I got my moneys worth

Randy

Reaction score
I'd install a mercury relay to take the load off the timer. That way the only load on the timer is the mercury relay coil, which is just about nothing. I haven't replaced a vac timer in years.

Dylanbennett

Reaction score
I'd install a mercury relay to take the load off the timer. That way the only load on the timer is the mercury relay coil, which is just about nothing. I haven't replaced a vac timer in years.
Never done that before just changed 1 gs-403 before and this vac has this older timer and a transformer so it's not something I am familiar with. Are you saying remover transformer and replace with gs-403 and relay?

Randy

Reaction score
Never done that before just changed 1 gs-403 before and this vac has this older timer and a transformer so it's not something I am familiar with. Are you saying remover transformer and replace with gs-403 and relay?
No leave the transformer and run the mercury relay on 24 volts. What your basically doing is using the mercury relay has a switch and controlling the switch with the timer. By doing this you take the load off the timer, if a motor dies it won't damage the timer.

Randy

Reaction score
We use a Parker Engineering Grace timer https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-34389-parker-engineering-01-0238-0000-grace-timer-ii.aspx along with a 24 volt mercury relay 35NO-24ATH https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-50...tive-or-lighting-loads-24v-35-amp-1-pole.aspx The only load on the timer is the coil on the mercury relay. Should a motor short out or go bad the timer won’t be harmed, it is isolated from the motor by the relay. We’ve been doing it like this for probably 25 years and have only had 1 or 2 timers go bad.