What's new

Vacuum Suction!

Joswhaha

Reaction score
Howdy y’all,
I ordered a vacuum gauge to check the suction on my Jim Coleman vacuums and all of them are around 35-45. I don’t have the gauge with me but I think it measured in inches of water column. 1 has new motors and motor gaskets the others have not been changed by me but all are about the same.

The question now is what should the suction actually be?

I can only think of a few things that may cause low suction.

- poor motor performance
- motor gasket leak
- screen under motor clogged
- clogged filter
- door seals - Is there a way to check this on the Coleman vacuum? I thought of using a piece of paper to slide between the door and gasket and see if I can pull it out easily.
- hose connections leaks/breaks
- blockage

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
On the door seal fitment, I usually wet my finger and run it around the perimeter of the door to feel for air rushing by. I guess you could fire up a cheap cigar on a calm day and do the same and see if smoke draws inward.

Air flow is an important function of a vacuum but is harder to measure. With a little time you'll know good vac suction when you feel it.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Mine read around 75-80. Leaks for me are usually around the doors, but if the filter bags are dirty suction and air flow go way down.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
On my Colemans I may find the fine screen under the motor and gasket clogged. Sometimes it just happens after several years and sometimes it indicates a bag has holes.

MEP001

Reaction score
- door seals - Is there a way to check this on the Coleman vacuum? I thought of using a piece of paper to slide between the door and gasket and see if I can pull it out easily.
Are these the ones with one single door? You can usually tell if it isn't sealing well if the gasket is dirty in some areas.