What's new

Vacuum Security

Turbo

Reaction score
Let me apologize in advance for not finding something that must be in the forum. I have a vacuum break in problem. I searched under "vacuum", "vacuum lock", "vacuum break",.... I am sure many of us have had this problem and there is a great answer that I cant find.

How should I secure my round vacuums with the swing out door? I have little snaps with locks on them. They dont work for the motivated vandal with a tool.

Kleen rite sells a "security door kit for vacuums" that might work. I am looking for something that I am confident will work.

I have costco cameras and have not made the time to figure out how to get them to record.

Thanks

dclark3344

Reaction score
A competing carwash was having the same problem because of his hidden location. He told me what he did was put bolts and locknuts (with the nylon insert) instead of locks on. Way too much work for the vandals. He also had a probem with them drilling out the locks in the bays and getting out the coins. He inserted plastic pipe in them where you have to open up the door to pull out the pipe before you can remove the coin drawer. He said it acts like a spring, they can pull on it all they want but the drawer will never come out far enough to get a coin. They do not know why either. LOL now they dont mess with his coin boxes.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Turbo,

Over 7 years ago we installed a shroud or guard over the latches. I believe we got them from Industrial Vacs. They look similar to the KleenRite product picture. From the picture you can't tell for sure if there is a Medeco lock on top. Ours came with a Medeco Lock.

It has proved worth doing for us.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I'm in rough areas with very aggressive vac trash hunters. At the worst locations I took a sheet of 22 ga stainless about 12" wide and long enough to wrap completely around the vac and the clean out door. Welded on two angles on the end of the sheets, rivited the sheets to the vacs, then wrapped them around the vac and door tightly (had to remove all existing clasps) where the angles come together. Three holes in the angles, two for nuts and bolts to hold the new cover tight and one for a lock. Stops them cold, I can see a few pry marks, but the soon stopped after not getting in. The only way they get in now is to break into the top door, cut the filter bag and reach through. This has only happened a few times though.

MEP001

Reaction score
The cover system from Industrial is the best looking, but it would also be the most expensive to repair if someone decided to get in through it. They would have to do a lot of damage to the vac too. JE Adams has a simple pair of SS channels that bolt onto the vac door and body and use a padlock. It should work on any vacuum with some drilling and relocating the latch from the center to using two, one above and one below the channel.

Another solution is to clean them every day and leave them unlocked. If there's never anything in them they may quit coming back.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
That problem comes and goes at my place. I took the locks off of the latches and drop a carriage bolt in with double nuts on it. If someone wants in bad enough, they can remove the bolt without damaging the door or latches by prying on it. I believe that people think big locks means big money. To me, it's not worth having to repair the damage that someone will do when they want in anyway.

I've had people clean them out before and do no harm, but sometimes someone will open them up and not shut the door. I've thought of spring loading the door to see if that would solve that.

When it is a problem for me, I clean them out myself every couple of days for a week or two and when there's no money in them, the scavengers give up. This always solves the problem until someone else decides to try it.

MEP001

Reaction score
Keith Baker said:
I've thought of spring loading the door to see if that would solve that.
That's a very good idea. That's always been my biggest concern, the door left open, then customers lose their money. They don't think to see if the door is open.

Turbo

Reaction score
Thanks for the great tips.

I tried not locking but the vandal made a mess (many times) including wiping his hands on the walls and he left them unlocked.

I tried using bolts with same results.

Sounds like Ghetto Wash had the best solution (and biggest problem) but that is a little more tme and expense than is nescessary in my case.

Side note: I think the vandal is a guy who is a little "off". He recently lit his house on fire, has aprox 5 tatoos of "tweety bird" on him and walks around with a walking stick talking to himself. When I bought the wash I ran him off per the request of customers as he was begging. My point is that I don't THINK that I have a vandal/theft problem I have a crazy/tweety guy problem.

Question: where do I find "Industrial Vac" solution? I searched but could not find. I think I will try the best "off the shelf" option.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I've thought of spring loading the door to see if that would solve that.
I would love to see something like that. Manufacturers should look into this idea. Anyone ever done this or have a simple (cheap) idea on how to accomplish this?

MEP001

Reaction score

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Question: where do I find "Industrial Vac" solution? I searched but could not find. I think I will try the best "off the shelf" option.
Give Dave Spoehr in our sales department a call. His extension is 209.

I don't have pricing. I have an agreement with our sales department. They don't try to fix things and I won't sell stuff. Makes life easier for all involved.

Turbo

Reaction score
I am immediately (as soon as my new latches come in) going to try the following:

-clean at end of every day
-latch
-leave unlocked
-put note above door: Cleaned daily. Please close door after opening.

I expect that he will come a few times and leave open. and then stop and then come a again in a few weeks.

My main risk is that is someone uses vac in middle of night and door is open they may vandalize machine.

aggressive

Reaction score
I would put something in vac clean out section that grossed them out.So when they saw or smelled it they would think twice about it next time.Put a fake snake or rat in there and tie it to the door so when they open door it moves.