What's new

Vacuum Issue - Blowing 20A fuses

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I have a Fragramatic Combo vacs ( started with one and now 2 doing the same) that keeps popping the 240v 20A fuse after 5 seconds. Checked brushes, and even changed both motors and checked wiring still happening? Could the relay cause this? What else could cause it?

MEP001

Reaction score
There are two fuses, one for each motor? Try MDL-10 fuse. That's a slow blow. ABC-20 fuse might be blowing from the startup load which can reach 60 amps.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
There are two fuses, one for each motor? Try MDL-10 fuse. That's a slow blow. ABC-20 fuse might be blowing from the startup load which can reach 60 amps.
Why would it start doing this suddenly after 12+ months no changes - i.e. motors, etc.?

MEP001

Reaction score
Why would it start doing this suddenly after 12+ months no changes - i.e. motors, etc.?
Not sure, maybe check the voltage. Make sure it stays around 120V when the unit starts and doesn't dip or increase when you start the one on the same island, if there is one. I've seen a loss of common cause all sorts of voltage problems even though the vac still runs.

mac

Reaction score
This is where an ampmeter comes in. Get one and find someone who can show you how to use it.

Randy

Reaction score
I have a Fragramatic Combo vacs ( started with one and now 2 doing the same) that keeps popping the 240v 20A fuse after 5 seconds. Checked brushes, and even changed both motors and checked wiring still happening? Could the relay cause this? What else could cause it?
Is the other vac that is also blowing the fuse on the same vac island? I'd check the wiring going to the vac island and the junction box that they slip off of, if they are on the same vac island. We had a similar problem a while back and one of the wire nuts came loose and the wire was toasted, vac still worked but constantly blew the breaker when it started.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Well I figured it out. Never underestimate your own ignorance. Apparently there was a 20A instead of a 30A in the first one. It's been running like that for ever ( I don't think I ever replaced that fuse ) . Then I mistakenly bought 10A in a rush to get out of Home Despot to avoid the mad crowds.

Put 30A's in like it's called for and we're running good. I'm surprised the one ran with a 20A for so long?