What's new

Vacuum Hoses 1.5 inch, 2 inch, and Tapered?

WikiWash

Reaction score
I noticed on the KR site that they have 1.5 inch diameter hose, 2 inch diameter hose, and a tapered hose that goes from 2 inch to 1.5 inch. What size hose do use and why not any of the others? Which size or style performs the best? And has anyone tried these tapered hoses out yet?

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/c-99-vacuum-hose.aspx

Bob C.

Reaction score
For a self serve wash I recommend the 2 inch only, customers seem too lazy to throw trash in trash can and just try to vacuum up all the trash and a 1.5 inch hose will plug up often so will the tapered hose as I tried them.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I personally have had 2" & 1.5 hoses and they both get stopped up just as much. I prefer the 1.5 because they Ladies love them to handle better and there my #1 vac customer the soccer mom with 3 kids Thats spends $10 just at the vacuum. That's Just my humble opinion. There also easier to hang. The 2" on my vacs pull around 70" vacuum while the 1.5 pulls 80" or better on my 3 motor Fragramatics.

WikiWash

Reaction score
I currently have the 2" hoses I'm going to get two tapered ones and see how they perform. I agree that customers will try to suck up anything. I also agree that the smaller diameter hose will be easier to use.

WikiWash

Reaction score
Should I switch over to 1.5" from 2" or should I try the tapered hose that goes from 2" to 1.5"?

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Should I switch over to 1.5" from 2" or should I try the tapered hose that goes from 2" to 1.5"?
Switched 40+ vacuums from 2" over to 1.5" because they looked better, were easier to handle and seemed almost to suck stronger. Two years later, switched 40+ vacuums back to 2" because 1.5" hoses clog 3 to 4 times as much. Although I prefer the 1.5" hose and claw, I really prefer the unclogged 2". The 1.5" swivel cuff is simply too small. Hoses were constantly plugged with caps from Gatorade or bottles of water, items that easily pass through a 2" claw. Save yourself the aggravation and stay with 2".

jprb

Reaction score
We had several 1.5" hoses, and several (more) 2". I don't recall the last time I had a clogged 2" hose. The 1.5" hoses clogged regularly. I got rid of all of the 1.5" hoses, and changed everything to 2". No clogs since. I had wondered about the tapered hose, and I'll be interested to hear everyone's results. I'm afraid they will clog at the nozzle, like the 1.5" hoses do.
JPRB

WikiWash

Reaction score
From the last two posts, the problem with 1.5 inch hoses is because they get clogged at the nozzle or the cuff. If this is the case I guess the tapered hose isn't the best idea anymore and it sounds like "stick with what works the best, 2 inch".

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Using the Dueler we have both! On Non Duelers it's the 2"

DavidM

Reaction score

WikiWash

Reaction score
We prefer the 1.5" for ease of use and don't experience clogs very often.
What nozzles does everyone else use? We have been using the aluminum nozzle, maybe that prevents some of the clogs because they don't have the bend like the plastic nozzles?

This one...https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-10238-1-12-aluminum-vac-nozzle-with-swivel-cuff.aspx

David
The openings may not be as wide either?
I think you may be right Dave! Do you get anyone trying to steal your aluminum nozzles?

MEP001

Reaction score
I ordered six 1.5" hoses by mistake once and decided to try them instead of paying to send them back. After about three months I had gone through all six 1.5" because they kept breaking. A couple times they broke right at the tank or right at the claw, so while none of the other nine hoses broke in that three months I had probably ten breaks on the 1.5". All the hoses were Smooth-Bor brand, so it's not like I got hold of some cheaper stuff.

soapy

Reaction score
I am in the process of making my own set of hose booms for vacs. I plan on using 2 inch up to the end of the boom and then coupling down to the 1.5 inch hose. I think if I get any clogs it will be in the 1.5 inch hose that will be fairly short and easy to clear.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I am in the process of making my own set of hose booms for vacs. I plan on using 2 inch up to the end of the boom and then coupling down to the 1.5 inch hose. I think if I get any clogs it will be in the 1.5 inch hose that will be fairly short and easy to clear.
Sounds like a winner! You never know ... if you post a pic of it when it is far enough along ... maybe someone on th forum can reveal an even further improvement!

DavidM

Reaction score
I haven't had any stolen vac nozzles. We always put a short pan head stainless steel screw through the cuff and into the hose to keep the cuff from unscrewing. We always did that even with the plastic nozzles because they would occasionally unscrew and customers couldn't get them back on.
Really haven't had any issues with the aluminum nozzles. They last a long time. Customers seem to like them, the shape makes it easier to get between seats.
They will wear down but it will take years of use to wear them down to the point they need to be replaced.

MEP - we had a similar experience with the tapered vac hose.

The 1.5" holds up well at our Full serve wash and our self serves. We typically buy the blue hose from Kleen-Rite in 50' and cut into three pieces.