What's new

Vacuum door gaskets

Etowah

SLEDGE

Reaction score
Just asking if anyone has replaced dirt door gaskets on fragramatic vacs ? Any tips on old gasket removal ? Or tips on new gasket install ? Looks simple but just asking the pros. Thanks

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
In the 16 years I've had my car wash, I've replaced a lot of insulation foam tape on my vacuums. I used to use a heat gun, Goof Off, scraper and steel wool, but found this process to be very smelly (foam tape heats up and smokes) and time consuming. I FOUND A MUCH FASTER & EFFECTIVE METHOD: This new method totally & completely removes the adhesive on the vacuum door gaskets in 15 minutes!
1. Use a metal scraper to remove the top layer of foam tape.
2. Spray residue with carburetor cleaner & let soak in a couple minutes. Use in a well-ventilated area, and DO NOT use around an open flame!
3. Use metal scraper to remove the foam tape adhesive. The carburetor cleaner dissolves the adhesive faster than anything I've ever tried! Repeat if necessary.

MEP001

Reaction score
The last few times I used a wire wheel in a grinder. You only have to pull off whatever will come off easily by hand, and the wire wheel rips right through everything else. I don't try to clean off all the old adhesive, I just use some 3M adhesive cleaner to get any dust off the residue and stick the new gasket on top of it. If the old adhesive is hardened, you do need to remove it all, but it will come off clean and easy with the wire wheel. It barely takes a minute to get it all off, which is good since the crappy Ryobi cordless grinder I wasted money on barely runs that long on a charge.

I use a brass wire wheel so it doesn't leave steel particles embedded in the stainless which will rust, and I can use it on the tank where the gasket is going to seal to clean it up without leaving any marks.