What's new

Vac nozzles, holes in or no holes?

carwashireland

Reaction score
We have recently installed some premier vacs which have fantastic suction, but if the nozzle is on say a mat or hard surface, when the air flow gets blocked the motors definitely start to smell of burn. Is it bust to drill some holes in the nozzle to prevent motor burn out?

MEP001

Reaction score
I used to file notches in the end, but I don't waste the time since I replace at least a couple a week from getting run over.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Drill 3 holes on top, when we order a doz @ a time. Takes about 3 minutes.
It's an absolute MUST DO, & it's a FREE improvement that makes a definite difference.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've seen the claws with holes. Makes no sense to me, give them the best suction you can then cut it down an inch from where they need it and increase your electric bill at the same time. Grooves at the claw edge improve airflow where the dirt is.

DavidM

Reaction score
We drill holes. Have done it for years at our full service location. Holes or notches make it easier to use the vacuum, neither option creates a decrease in effectiveness of the nozzle.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I've seen the claws with holes. Makes no sense to me, give them the best suction you can then cut it down an inch from where they need it and increase your electric bill at the same time. Grooves at the claw edge improve airflow where the dirt is.
Well, if you compare the 2 side by side, you'll notice no discernible difference.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
We have recently installed some premier vacs which have fantastic suction, but if the nozzle is on say a mat or hard surface, when the air flow gets blocked the motors definitely start to smell of burn. Is it bust to drill some holes in the nozzle to prevent motor burn out?
We notch. Purchased three motor vacs last year that had three holes in the claws that created an obnoxiously loud, high pitch whistle.