What's new

Vac Island trash can covers

pgrzes

Reaction score
Who has the best flip open trash can covers and why? I am looking for 6 covers for new location and looking for opinions. I have a couple aluminum Colemans and a Stainless Kleen Rite. The Kleen Rite is nice but its so damn Heavy which is good and bad, stays down in the wind but when people flip them open without holding them they get a bit twisted. The colemans are nice and light, but I have had to make some repairs with brackets and some welding repairs. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Eric H

Reaction score
I used some cable to keep the lids from flipping back too far. It helps keep the rear edge of the cover from bending and breaking the corner welds.

KleanRide

Reaction score
My 7 bay SS had the old aluminum trash can tepees when I bought it and they were a constant pain in the a$$. Too much trash blown out of the slots and onto the parking lot, and they were a magnet for late-night treasure hunters. Plus too flimsy for any reliable locking system.

Three months ago I had a metal fab shop weld up a prototype of this model and it has worked great. Obviously wind is not an issue. The lock and hasp are strong enough to discourage scavengers and the 8-inch hole won't take anything bigger than fast food sacks and cups. They do catch a little rain, but we drilled holes in the bottom of the 30 gallon plastic can liner that fits inside and they drain nicely.

Installed the same prototype design on my remaining 8 vac islands today. Cost was about $400 each.

IMG_1270.jpg

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
I had a lady flip my brand new kleenrite teepee open to put her large trash items in. bent the base a little, added the lock kit and cheap padlocks no problems since. Still people stuff them full because I cant get to the wash every single day to empty them. Watching the "no trash can" movement with great interest. I think I will "forget" to put them out at our second wash, not under repair/renovation and opening soon. I like Kleanrides small opening, but we have no covers on our vac islands and Id be afraid the cans would fill with rain water.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
5 or 6 years ago I got fed up with trash, and decided to make changes to try to reduce it - if that didnt work I was getting rid of the trash cans. So:

I switched from the big stainless trash an lids to plastic ones (somewhat heavy duty) with a much smaller flip top lid, the opening is now small enough that its hard to cram in a full McDs bag. I dont seem to have any pics handy, I'll try to remember to snap one this weekend.

I also put a picture/sign right on the flip lid indicating that trash dumping is a crime, dont do it. Complete with a pic of a scary ugly guy.
I also started telling people to put their trash back in the trunk or wait for the police.
And I dropped video off at the police station regularly. (Yes the police here will deal with it, usually).

Results: Trash reduced by 50-75%. Although it is still too much and I still think I am going to get rid of the cans, it is tolerable now so my blood pressure is down.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Coleman has been making their's out of stainless for a while now, and they hold up well. I've got some thirteen years old that are still in service

MEP001

Reaction score
My 7 bay SS had the old aluminum trash can tepees when I bought it and they were a constant pain in the a$$. Too much trash blown out of the slots and onto the parking lot, and they were a magnet for late-night treasure hunters. Plus too flimsy for any reliable locking system.

Three months ago I had a metal fab shop weld up a prototype of this model and it has worked great. Obviously wind is not an issue. The lock and hasp are strong enough to discourage scavengers and the 8-inch hole won't take anything bigger than fast food sacks and cups. They do catch a little rain, but we drilled holes in the bottom of the 30 gallon plastic can liner that fits inside and they drain nicely.

Installed the same prototype design on my remaining 8 vac islands today. Cost was about $400 each.

View attachment 873
I was planning to make something like that out of signboard and put a teepee with mat clamps on top of it, with a small hole in the sides of the teepee to prevent things like whole bags of concrete/mortar/drywall mud or leftover tile/flooring/construction lumber etc. from being literally thrown in the cans from the back of a truck. Of course there will also be a lock on them to keep the homeless out.