What's new

Vac is shutting down

SanDiegoSS

Reaction score
Im a newbie at this and before I start replacing parts I wondered if anyone has had this issue.

We have a vac that accepts tokens but the motor turn on for a second and then shuts down. you can put another token in immediately and the same thing will happen. I don't know if this is a bad pulse or if something is tripping.

Couple of pics to help- Thanks!

IMG_0532.jpg IMG_0534.jpg

Randy

Reaction score
The first thing I'd do is replace the timer and rewire the vacuum. Does the timer controll a mercury relay? If it doesn't I'd install one, this will take most of the load off the timer.

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
I agree with Randy, that electrical wiring and electrical equipment looks in poor shape. Certainly re-wiring, or at very least tidying up the existing wiring and using electrical contact cleaner would be a good first step.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
That GS7 timer has to be at least 20 years old and probably closer to 25. Replace it(the current model is a GS402)and clean up that clumsy wiring. It's most likely just the timer but that is a 24vac timer so it has to be driving a relay of some sort.

MEP001

Reaction score
That GS7 timer has to be at least 20 years old and probably closer to 25. Replace it(the current model is a GS402)and clean up that clumsy wiring. It's most likely just the timer but that is a 24vac timer so it has to be driving a relay of some sort.
It has a 3" coin acceptor so it's probably closer to 30.

IMO it has to be the timer. If the coin acceptor was the problem, it would give too many or too few coin pulses - the only timer that could behave this way with a bad acceptor would be the IDX AT411 (It would cancel the time if the coin pulse signal was too long, or if it sent far too many pulses to the timer). It's obviously not the relay or it would not restart with another token, in fact it would either stay on all the time or not come on at all. It's remotely possible the transformer is going bad - you'd need to put a voltmeter on it and watch the voltage when it comes on. If it drops too much below 24VAC, the timer will reset.

SanDiegoSS

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses, Ill start there and let you know.

Etowah