What's new

vac coin removal

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have JC vacs. To remove the coins you just insert the key and pull out the stainless plate. I have a plate that I cannot get out. I've pried with screwdrivers, beaten it with a hammer and yanked with the key Which of course broke off. Is there a way to get leverage on one of these things that I have not thought about? Luckily it was unlocked when the key broke but I cannot get it out.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Have had this happen in past,although someone beat the hell out of it.
Open the door above change holder and cut bottom out to get to the lock in lower door.
Good luck

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have JC vacs. To remove the coins you just insert the key and pull out the stainless plate. I have a plate that I cannot get out. I've pried with screwdrivers, beaten it with a hammer and yanked with the key Which of course broke off. Is there a way to get leverage on one of these things that I have not thought about? Luckily it was unlocked when the key broke but I cannot get it out.
Any chance it's frozen? Does it need to be warmed up?

Is it the type where it is a plate with a discuss lock behind it? and their is coin box inside?

You could drill a hole in the plate and then drive in a strong screw and attach a vise grips to the screw. Then plug the hole with a carriage bolt and nut on the opposite side.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Yes that is the type. No it's not frozen, just stuck. I can't figure out why though. I'm going to soak it with wd-40 and see if that loosens things up. Your idea with the screw might work. I'm going out of town tomorrow so it may be stuck till I get back.
Thanks

madscientist

Reaction score
I've had this happen before. In my case the plate and the coin drawer would normally have a little jiggle room, even when locked properly. Somehow a quarter got jammed into the crevice which took away the jiggle, and also made it very difficult get the whole thing open.

It reminded me of "pennying" someone in their dorm room in college. From the outside of a room with a closed door that opens inward, you push the lower part in and slide a stack of pennies into the door jam. Release the door and it is impossible to open from the inside. This is all hypothetically speaking, of course.

Anyway, it was just luck that got my vaccum drawer open. Maybe a hammer tap at just the right angle, or the right amount of times.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
sorry , thought they were stand along vac.. Must be differant than the JC I have.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Before Drilling holes I would do 2 things. As suggested above get a rubber mallet and bang on the plate (or use a block of wood between a metal hammer and the plate . Yhe bibration may pop it loose. There is aso a door??? to access the coin mech? Open it and revove the little funnel that allows quarters to drop, and perhaps aflat peice of steel can be inserted thru that slot to push on the coin box aagainst the dootr or on the door directly.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I also had the same problem a couple of years ago.
I had to use a very thin blade straight screw driver, pried it between the plate door and the bottom frame, beat on it, repeat on the top and sides until I had a larger space then used a small crow bar and repeated it trying to not deform the frame around the door to much. It took some time but it finally freed up.

rghyska

Reaction score
The problem is the disk lock has shifted, thats why the key broke off when you pulled on it. The reason I know this is because I have done the same thing. The best way to get it open is to take a small screwdriver and pound the lock to the left (use the area that shows around the key entrance.Then keep trying to pry the removeable plate open. It make take a little time but it will open. Once it is open look at the disk lock make sure that it lines up corretly both horz and virt. If needed adjust the set screws that hold the lock so it works correctly. What happeans over time the lock shifts and the removable plate becomes wedged Also make sure you check and adjust all of the other locks.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
You called it. The lock had slipped a little. I finally beat it over far enough to get it loose. Now if I can just get the broken key out ...