Vac claws being stolen. Advice?

soonermajic

Reaction score
We're gaving vac claws stolen, 3x/week.
Any advice?
Poluce won't help on piddly $3 items

washallday

Reaction score
I took silicon caulk clear and put it on the threads and all connections, that stopped it for me.

soapy

Reaction score
I bought a electric branding iron at a ranch store for under $100 with the letters I needed about 20 years ago after I had another car wash operator
stealing my vac ends. NOw I brand all my foam brush heads, vac cuffs etc. as soon as they come in. It has really helped stop thefts. IMG_4220.JPG

MEP001

Reaction score
Make sure the vacs are working well. I've finally stopped the homeless from getting into the cleanouts and leaving the doors open. People pull the claws off when the vac doesn't work.

Davidson

Reaction score
I have same problem Sooner. They either steal it, or throw it in trash after they cut it off the nozzle cuff. Most of the time its the people going thru the clean outs. Bought more vac claws this year than previous 4 yrs combined!!

Randy

Reaction score
Our customers don’t like the plastic claws and will cut them off the end of the hose, toss them in the garbage or throw them into the vacant lot next door, so we stopped using them. They seem to like the VAA-20 Vac Upholstery Cuff 2'' Hose x 1 1/2'', they leave them alone, very seldom do they take one off. Go figure.

soapy

Reaction score
I used to offer the type like Randy uses and the plastic hose cuff. Seems people always wanted which ever one was not on the vac they pulled up to. Rather than move their car to a vac with their preferred hose end they would walk over and try to swap them but they always left one off. I have consolidated to only using one type of hose end now.

MEP001

Reaction score
I quit using the large open-end type after the third or fourth time I had to unstick a piece of clothing from the middle of the hose. I just bought a second box of 50 claw nozzles in about 18 months.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Make sure the vacs are working well. I've finally stopped the homeless from getting into the cleanouts and leaving the doors open. People pull the claws off when the vac doesn't work.
But they're even stealing them off our 2 new vacs. How'd you get the people from getting in the cleanouts? That is literally 365 days/yr, w/out exception! We put locks & they cut em, put tough lovks & they pried their way in. So we let em grt in every night, & they oblige us!😰😡

MEP001

Reaction score
Clean them out right before they usually show up, or catch them and have the police issue a criminal trespass warrant. I thought I had them stopped but they pried a door open and ruined a vac. I may end up with a bar running down both sides of the door.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Cleaning out every single night may be our best option
They come by about 1;30---3:30am every night. NONE of em have cars. Not sure how they get their dope.
I thought about putting some grass snakes or water snakes in them a few nights in a row...🤔🤨

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
Cleaning out every single night may be our best option
They come by about 1;30---3:30am every night. NONE of em have cars. Not sure how they get their dope.
I thought about putting some grass snakes or water snakes in them a few nights in a row...🤔🤨
I've thought about the snake thing too. But with my luck, the snake would be crawling out of the nozzle about the time a customer picked it up to use it.

OurTown

Reaction score
Stick some strobe lights in there aiming right at them. Those things are irritating and about impossible to do anything if it is dark enough outside.

Allen

Reaction score
I've seen people remove the claws and use them to rake out the dirt on the ground. Makes a mess and they rarely
put the nozzle back on. IVS -Ginsan has the best door and latch protection kit that I have used. Might even be able
to get a local machine shop to build something for you that would work.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I am unfamiliar with GinSan's latch kit.
Maybe Dan K will chime in...?

MEP001

Reaction score
I thought I had a good system but they tried to get in anyway. This was plan B. I'm going to plan C, which will be putting angle down the whole door edge.

IMG_20200707_133001776_HDR.jpg

Allen

Reaction score
I have nine of these lock shrouds. Wish I had them on all my vacs. Never had one damaged or broken into yet.
Covers top and bottom latches. Won't ever order a new IVS- Ginsan vacuum without one. Not sure if they will fit other brands.
Part #104529 at Kleen-Rite and cost $260.

Attachments