What's new

Using well water.

Bubble1

Reaction score
Are there any issues with using a well water supply for water softener and spot free rinse production ?

Last edited by a moderator:

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
It depends on quality of water. Where I live in Florida, well water is pretty dirty looking and leaves rust-like stains and stinks to high heaven like stench of pit odor.

When I operated several washes in Atlanta, I thought the quality of city water was pretty good and relatively inexpensive. I know people who operated in and around Woodstock running city water.

So, why well water? Have water and sewer rates suddenly skyrocketed?

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
So, why well water? Have water and sewer rates suddenly skyrocketed?

How about a $1,200/mo. water bill...is that a good enough reason?

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
how about 2,428.34 for Feb is what I paid, for a 10bay SS with 1 automatic and no water leaks nowhere. live in NC Orange county had a well 20 years ago city made us cap it off. Talk about feeling your pain my friend.

Bubble1

Reaction score
bubble1

My water rates are $5.90 per 1000 for water, $9.70 per 1000 for sewer.
I have always used city water for spot free and soft production. I have a well I use for HP soap and rinse,
just trying to save where I can. I have operated a 6 bay self service for the last 34 years and converted one bay
to TF automatic last year. I continue to realize how much I don't know.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Our carwash drilled a 600' artesian well last summer. It has a static level of 50' and produces 3-4 gpm.

We had the water tested and, based on test results and well supply estimates vs wash usage, have decided to use well supply for HP rinse on IBA and SS bays (both cold at this wash). We plan to leave hot supply on city water, which is softened. I'll also leave SFR on city supply.

Our wash is small (2+1) but pressure automatics are water hogs, so we expect a 2-3 year payback on the well and system. This project has taken alot of time and hoop jumping w/city departments all wanting paperwork signed, approved, resubmitted etc.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
very surprised your city let you do that, they told me cannot use my own well water and there sewage for free they would not know how to charge. You are lucky.

Stuart

Reaction score
I would start by telling the city that they charge me for sewer water that drives out the door-not the drain.
When the city is ready to put a meter on the sewer line and charge for whats going thru the line, I will drill a well! (oh how I wish this could happen)

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
all you have to do is install a water meter on well line. city reads that to calculate sewer charges. don't ask=don't get.

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
To answer the original question, I see no problem using well water to produce soft or RO water. I have been doing both for 15 years. I do however filter the well water twice in front of the softener and once again before the RO machine.

Your local water supplier may have some questions when your consumption rate drops. They don’t like losing their “cash cows”. Have your answers ready.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
In some areas they will not allow you to use well water. Check with local authorities to see if it is okay. Have the water tested for hardness. In our area some of the well water is already soft enough to use without a softener. As was mentioned if you are going to soften it be sure to filter it. Finally check you water rates. As you know your rates are based on usage. If you drop usage your rates might increase thus the savings may not be as great. It is definitely something to consider but be sure to check all the pros and cons out first.

Bubble1

Reaction score
Bubble1

Thanks for the info.
My city has had me on a well meter since I first installed the well.
Anyone have a preference on silt filter brand.

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
A good water reclaim system can reduce water/sewer in a SS by about 80%. A lot of reclaim systems don't do well in SS environment but there are some that do.

There are also systems that you can treat and reuse rain-water. Did you know treated filtered rainwater is Spot-Free? True.