What's new

Using home automation devices at your wash

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I know this is simple stuff for some of you but I thought I would write a post to bring some automation controls to your attention. This stuff is super easy to set up and and requires very little time or money.

In anticipation of the cold weather I wanted a little more information and more remote control of some features at the washes. Cold is not something we deal with here much and we usually just cone off the bays and open back up when the weather warms up. I've wanted to make shutdowns easier and I've seen some more complex industrial grade automation systems available, but many require hard wiring and frankly I'm become a bit lazier and have less desire to run wires.

I have a friend in the business who has quite a few self serves has been using yolink devices at his washes for the past Year and has been very happy. Last week I made an initial purchase and so far have been pretty pleased with what it looks like these things will do for me with minimal fuss. The devices connect wirelessly and the sensors are battery operated. Many of the controls are also battery operated but some do require external DC voltage . In less than two hours I managed to get the app downloaded, get a hub installed, connect two temperature sensors, a door opening sensor, install a smart plug, and create an automated task on the app. That task will monitor the temp sensors. When the temperature gets to a preset low limit it will now send me a push notification and turn on the smart plug that runs my track heat on my water wizard. When it warms back up it will turn the track heat off. I've ordered more temp sensors and wireless relays and will add those to actually shut down the autos. I also plan to add a switch to monitor air pressure at the sites. With a few wireless relays you could shut down all equipment if you desire.

Yolink sells a wide variety of sensors and controls- leak detectors, float switches, etc. They have an outdoor contact sensor that can be used as a set of dry contacts to monitor most anything you can send a closed signal too-pressure switches, float switches, motor starter tripped, etc.. Most input and output devices range from $25-$35 What I did above cost about $125 in parts. They even have water valves that can be turned off and on remotely or automated in a task. Lets say a leak detector goes off, you could automate it to shut off the valve. Their equipment s available on Amazon or at https://shop.yosmart.com/.

I'm wondering if any of you folks have found a way to do these with home automation systems similar to this that I haven't thought about.

OurTown

Reaction score
I read up on it some but a still little confused if it is or not cell based. If cell based then it would seem much more reliable when there is an internet outage but would require monthly or yearly fees.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I read up on it some but a still little confused if it is or not cell based. If cell based then it would seem much more reliable when there is an internet outage but would require monthly or yearly fees.

Agree but my internet downtime is usually just a few minutes a Month. A UPS would increase reliability even more. I would not substitute a monitored alarm system for this, My ring is $100/yr and includes cellular backup.

designflaw

Reaction score
I am a big fan of automation. One of the devices I am using is Emporia's Energy Monitor that can tell me down to the second how much each of my bay pumps are being used. So if it goes an hour with no activity, I know something is up and its time to check the cameras.

The second thing I use is my blink cameras in my coin changers pointed to the exist from my validator. They keep track of each $ that is put in with a timestamp. This has saved me in know when a coin changer went down to reviewing someones claim that the coin machine 'ate' their money.