What's new

uses for old garage door opener

Eric H

Reaction score
The garage door opener at my house chewed up the gears so I need a new one. Is there any good uses around the wash that I could use the old electronics for? Pressing the button on the remote still makes the light go on for about 3 minutes then shuts off. The motor also runs until you push the button a second time to stop it. I imagine there must be something I can control with it.

Randy

Reaction score
Let me guess you have a Sears, Craftsman, Liftmaster, or a Chamberlain garage door opener. They are all made by Chamberlain. Instead of replacing the door opener why don?t you replace the gear/sprocket assembly. You need part number 41C4220A. Costs about $25 - $35 and should only take about 30 minutes to install. I?ve done a lot of them, there easy to do.

mac

Reaction score
I recently did the same thing with a 20 year ols Sears. A local parts house had the plastic gear for about $20. That, half hour labor, and a cold beer, and it's back for another 20 years.

Eric H

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was expecting finding the gears to be a wild goose chase, like finding parts for everything else these days.

Eric H

Reaction score
So I got it fixed, special thanks to Randy. LOML will be happy when she get home.

But back to the original question: Is there any useful application for old garage door electronics at the wash? I was thinking that the timer for the light could be used to control a relay to shut off the weep for a few minutes if you see someone trying to wash with the weep. I'm not really interested in that but someone else might be.

bmills

Reaction score
I use an old opener to hoist my extension ladder to the ceiling for storage. I have hooks at one end of the equipment room that I hook the end ladder rung on, and a chain and pulley that the opener draws up and down to lift the other end of the ladder up to the ceiling. This allows me to store a 24' extension ladder up and out of the way and just push a button when I need to access it.

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
I think I think that once upon a time, Tom Hoffman had used garage door opener remote control devices to activate services in the bay. If memory serves, Tom had given manager attendants those remotes to start bay services primarily for bay wash downs.

JJJ/SSCWN
-----------------------------------
The Poster Formerly Known