What's new

Used Touchfree Automatics

washman9

Reaction score
We have an older 20 year wash. (in bay auto and 5 self serv bays.) We are in a 20k plus traffic count area across from a Lowes, Walgreen's, multi business complex in a very good location. We also have interconnectivity to a Convenience we own but sublease to other operators. The self service industry is dead, with 90 percent of washes in our county either in foreclosure or repurposed. I am looking to convert existing self service bays in to multi unit mini storage and then put in one, newer touch free auto that would also be tied into the gas pumps at the C-store to help promote both business. There seems to be a lot of used equipment out there right now and was hoping to get some opinions as to what might be the best value right now. I realize this is like asking what is the better car, a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, but thought this might serve as a starting point for information and discussion. We have right now a Futura Millennium touch free, has been a great machine but has far outlived its utility and Specialty no longer in business. Appreciate any thoughts or opinions.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
What distributors do you have nearby? I would research them and would buy something of the same brand as the distributor you feel most comfortable with. I've bought several used machines, but didn't stray from what my current distributor supports.

soonermajic

Reaction score
What distributors do you have nearby? I would research them and would buy something of the same brand as the distributor you feel most comfortable with. I've bought several used machines, but didn't stray from what my current distributor supports.
terrific advice. Even if it may not be your #1 choice, if you go with the unit that has the best distributor, you will be miles ahead.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Since the wash is going to be repurposed as a gas station carwash, I would go with a Ryko.

Ryko probably has more experience with c-store and gas operations than the OEM’s combined.

Ryko even has a service network you can plug into. That way you can operate the wash like a vending machine.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
"The self service industry is dead, with 90 percent of washes in our county either in foreclosure or repurposed."

BTW, what county is this? I would like to know so I can analyze it.

soonermajic

Reaction score
"The self service industry is dead, with 90 percent of washes in our county either in foreclosure or repurposed."

BTW, what county is this? I would like to know so I can analyze it.
I think that is in Florida & urban areas. In Ok,Tx,La & Ar nearly every SS I see is doing very good. My buddy & I own the market in 2 towns, in Oka & Tx. 1 town has 2800 pop & other has 7000 pop. We own all 4 SS carwashes & gross over $375k! That is tremendous, & I know a few guys who do even better.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I think that is in Florida & urban areas. In Ok,Tx,La & Ar nearly every SS I see is doing very good. My buddy & I own the market in 2 towns, in Oka & Tx. 1 town has 2800 pop & other has 7000 pop. We own all 4 SS carwashes & gross over $375k! That is tremendous, & I know a few guys who do even better.
Small towns with the population range you mentioned are below the radar. So count your lucky stars.

mac

Reaction score
In FL the self serves seem to have gathered into two different entities. There are a bunch that when you drive by and look at them it actually hurts your eyeballs. Then there are the others that are ran by competent owners who actually care about their business. And they are doing fine. One of my customers has a busy 6 bay with no automatic. It is located in a major city and is close to a Sonny express with free vacs. He grosses close to 300K. Yes, you read that right.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Robert, I prefer to call is a PhD...not LUCK. "Poor, Hungry & Determined".

Mac, that is an astounding amount!