What's new

Used reclaim system

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
We installed an AquaMizer 3000 reclaim when we started 4 tears ago. Paid 40,000 for it. Was told we "needed" it from equipment rep. Turned off last year and water and electric has not changed. Would like to sell and was wondering what the used market is for car wash equipment.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“….AquaMizer 3000…4 tears ago. Paid 40,000 for it. Turned off last year and water and electric has not changed.”

After turning off, I would expect total electric use to decrease slightly. Since it didn’t, this implies the unit wasn’t turned on very much.

As for efficiency, any basic reclaim system is capable of supplying at least 50 percent of the product water needs of a conveyor.

Plus, this is a pretty simple design; strainer basket, no hydro-cyclone, filter media, ozone generator.

However, unit must be turned on 24/7 and needs backwashed. Also, installation is crucial to performance.

Plumbing of underground tank farm is complicated. Using Schedule 40 instead of 80 PVC and/or using PVC throughout instead of PVC to flex-hose leads to failures.

There are also specific procedures that must be followed during start-up and calibration to avoid damaging the unit.

“Would like to sell and was wondering what the used market is for car wash equipment.”

Historically, there is nothing quite as worthless as used carwash equipment.

In developing opinion of value, I usually find used equipment to have value of about 10 percent to 15 percent on the dollar, after removal.

If the equipment doesn’t work as you are implying, it would be worth even less.

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
The machine was installed properly, ran properly, every day for 3 years. We just were naive and fell into the bells and whistles trap of an equipment salesman (whose on commission) and severely underestimated our water usage. Machine is in 100% perfect working condition.

MEP001

Reaction score
Your water usage should have increased immensely when you turned the unit off.

mac

Reaction score
Was the reclaim unit required in order to get your building permit? If so you may have an issue when you go to sell the place. The money you MIGHT get for it won't be much. Also in some parts of the country, during severe water droughts, some cities have closed washes that don't reclaim. I do find it odd that nothing changed when it was turned off. Sounds like something wasn't done right during the install. Have you talked to the manufacturer and asked why there was no change? Would love to hear their answer.

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
The reclaim was not a requirement. We sit outside a major city and our rates are reasonable. The only thing we changed was went from a high pressure rise to a medium pressure rinse over a year ago. When reclaim was turned off, electric went down slightly and water went up slightly, but not appreciable either one.

mac

Reaction score
You might try checking with the manufacturer. Tell him your situation and that you would take "X" amount of dollars for it, and they can sell it used for half price.

Bob Koo

Reaction score
You might try checking with the manufacturer. Tell him your situation and that you would take "X" amount of dollars for it, and they can sell it used for half price.
I thought the AquaMizer System was manufacturered by Hydro Management Systems in Georgia. I don't they are in operations anymore, after the owner, Bob Harvey passed away a few years ago?

mac

Reaction score
That's the trouble with reclaim systems. The market, and the technology, don't seem capable of supporting a lot of manufacturers. There's a lot of stuff out there that is little more than scrap.

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
I knew Hydro Management / Aquamizer went out of business but did not know Bob Harvey passed away. Sorry to hear this.