What's new

Used Laserwash 4000

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Pending the financing, it looks like I will be putting in a used Laser 4000. This was a machine that was at a car dealership and has a very low car count. I'm just trying to get a little advice, maybe some tips and things to look for since I am buying a used machine.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Is it a good deal? Is it reconditioned or just used? What type of warrantee? Does it come from a distributor who will back it up?

MEP001

Reaction score
Does it have the newer stainless steel bridge? The older steel ones have rust issues.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am considering it a good deal, so I guess that is all that matters. It is well within my budget and I should have a good margin compared to the amount of financing that I will need.

I am not sure about the warranty issue, but my distributor has gone through it and is replacing the things that needs replacing.

We are going to be going with the SS parts so that we can avoid the rust issues.

vinh

Reaction score
can u tell us how many wash u think it has on it. how much it cost you before and after refurbish. and last how much with installation (final price). I thinking of getting a new machine when my OHD dies. But would like to know the aches and cost of installing a used machine.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
The unit with all the new stainless hardware and upgrades that it needs will run me about $18k. I am getting a new Hamilton Goldline and will have some money in there for plumbing, electric, and some concrete work that I will have to do. Overall, I am happy with the setup and feel that I am getting a good product for a decent price.

MEP001

Reaction score
That sounds like a good deal, especially since the Goldline alone costs something around $8,000 new. The Laser 4000 is pretty easy to work on.

Reaction score
I dont no what you have for automatics around you , but have you thought about going with the goldline plus and vending a token back on your top wash to be used in your vacs, sometimes percived value can help make a differance

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
That's not a bad idea, I will check into that. I agree with you that perceived value will take you a long way to keeping loyal customers and attracting new ones.

Kirb

Reaction score
Car Washing Systems,
Do you use a separate vac only tokens or a token valued at $1? I was thinking of going with a token valued at $1 for the top wash so it still builds loyal customers that can use it for the vac or a dollar off next visit. Also thought instead of running specials with lower wash prices the customers pay full price and get additional $1 tokens back for say a $2 off Tuesday special. Is anyone doing this with good results?
Thanks,
Kirb

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Sounds like a real good deal. If your distributor is refurbing the unit does he extend any type of warrantee? Even 30 days is better than nothing. I would guess that if any problems show up it would be early on. The time to push for some warrantee is before it goes in. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
If all your vacs could do tokens and quarters thats the way i would go, trying to get people to one vac could be hard people do not read thats just my talk on it. I would only give them a token on the top wash or the top 2 washes the object is to get them to upgrade from a lower wash

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I was just reviewing my estimate and it doesn't come with the virtual treadle. Opinions on that? I would like to have the VT, but I don't know that I can justify the extra $5k to have it. I will definitely get it when I upgrade the machine in a few years, I'm just not sure that it is necessary. What do you guys think?

Washmechanic

Washmechanic, Ibas. ss,
Reaction score
We installed two virtual treadles over four years ago and for us it was worth every cent. The ease for people entering the wash and not having to make the rollers and duallies coming through, it's great. Also not having the constant maintenance of the treadle and washing down the bay is so much easier. Our customers coment how nice it is for them to use the wash. No rollers!

MEP001

Reaction score
I think we'd do a lot more duallies if we had the virtual treadle on our Vector. It has a side bar to allow them to drive over it, but people pull up and see the narrow treadle and think it can't take a dually. There are also a lot of idiots who think they have to pull in an inch from the left arm and can't get on the treadle.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
So, in your opinion, the virtual treadle is an option that I might want to go with? My only reason for not wanting to go with the VT is that I am not going to have a dryer setup initially. In an effort to keep costs down, I am going to wait to put the dryers in, probably some time in the fall. Thoughts?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
why not find some used superior blowers ?

my next iba will have virtual treadle. the need for this becomes obvious once you've washed enough cars without it!

bigleo48

Reaction score
Bubbles,

Sounds like a deal. My 2 cents, VT & Dryer...Yes for both.

Big

DavidM

Reaction score
We retrofitted the virtual treadle to our Laser when it became available. I would strongly advise getting a virtual treadle. It is expensive but it makes a significant difference. I would also consider dryers important but that may depend on your competition. Around us, everyone has dryers. We offer a dryer on the top two packages.

David