What's new

Use Tire chemical in touch-free?

slash007

Reaction score
I have a Ryko OHD touch-free unit and was wondering what you guys thought about using tire chemical? I have heard from a few people that it was basically useless and that I should just leave it unhooked but wanted to get the opinions of the forum. If I should keep it, what size chemical injector am I supposed to use? The current injector was leaking and broke when I tried to take it loose, so it would need to be replaced. The #'s on it were worn out so I am not sure what orfice size or gallons per minute I am supposed to use. Thanks.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
On the US2001 OHD, the recommended flowmeter setting for tire chemical is 1GPH if using the Ryko Tire Chemical. Is uses a P/N 10598-215 brass injector that is 3/8" MPT with 1-2 GPM flow rate.

slash007

Reaction score
On the US2001 OHD, the recommended flowmeter setting for tire chemical is 1GPH if using the Ryko Tire Chemical. Is uses a P/N 10598-215 brass injector that is 3/8" MPT with 1-2 GPM flow rate.
Thank you very much for that info. What about opinions in regards to even using tire chemical on the touch-free? Does it really make a difference? The way I see it, most customers drive in way too fast for the chemical to even hit their tires properly then it's soon covered with both pre-soaks steps.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
The two tire chemical offerings we have (one that is designed to foam, and the other not), they are formulated more toward the brake dust and road film than the typical high pH presoaks used for the rest of the wash, so if you can get the customers to slow down, there should be a benefit to them with the additional dwell time. The best way to get them to slow down is by offering this when they have either a fixed undercar or a side blaster when they feel the additional services they purchased. With tire chemical only, the customer typically wouldn't know it is being sprayed as they pull in waiting for the horn to tell them to stop.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
If you have Side blasters as they drive in the chemical has no time to work/dwell because it's being washed off immediately.

slash007

Reaction score
If you have Side blasters as they drive in the chemical has no time to work/dwell because it's being washed off immediately.
That's what I figured. Not sure what the point in that design is... I actually capped off my side blasters so that pre-soak isn't applied to a wet car, but the under car blast still gets water on the tires.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
It really depends on the placement of the tire chem manifolds. If placed a short distance past the side blasters, it will stay on, then be washed off by the HI arm. The advantage of having a fixed undercar or side blaster (for the purpose of tire chem) is that the customers slow down. When those options aren't present, they drive through quicker.