What's new

Use proper amperage with your extractor

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I recently bought a heated extractor. First, I began experimenting with it at the house taking stains out of the carpet.

I was wondering if it was working correctly or not, as the water was sort of hot but not really hot. And, (duh!), each time I plugged it in the lights on that circuit dimmed.

Later, at my airplane hangar, I was using it on some vehicles I keep there and I found it to be MUCH hotter water coming out. In fact it was so hot it was burning my hand to hold onto the unit without gloves.

I did a simple check and found that the hangar plugs deliver 20amps, and the household plugs deliver 15 amps.

The extra amperage made a big difference in the operation of the unit.

soapy

Reaction score
Also when using your extractor make sure you have a heavy duty extension cord. Too light of duty cord will burn up the heater and shorten the life of the motors.

Danny

Reaction score
Also when using your extractor make sure you have a heavy duty extension cord. Too light of duty cord will burn up the heater and shorten the life of the motors.
this is very true...
14GA is the lightest cord to use. 12GA is much better.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Extension cords

I looked high and low for 20amp extension cords, and finally ordered them online from Harbor Freight.

Be aware u need a 20amp plug receptacle but it's a simple, $3 change out.