What's new

Upgrading RO system

OurTown

Reaction score
We have a Huron Valley Propak RO model PPSFR 4400 going to a 1,500 gallon tank. I assume the 4400 is the gallons per day output. We are planning on a new Autec in-bay-express and apparently it is a real water gobbler. After crunching the numbers we might have an RO output issue on those winter days after we see those beautiful salt trucks driving down the road. Those are happy but nerve racking days and the last thing I want to think about is if we have enough RO water. What would it take to upgrade this system to 6600 GPD? It has a 20" by 2 1/2" pre-filter, 16 GPM 3 HP pump and two 4" by 40" membranes with a third set of taps on the rails. It looks like I just need to install another housing/membrane/hoses and call it a day. The carbon filter might be the restriction though. It looks similar to this one but the head looks different and also someone made a label for ours that states that it is 13" and not 12" like this one.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-17367-crane-faw2510-ac12-eliminator-activated-carbon-ro-filter-12-x-52-in-5-gpm.aspx

That one I linked only has a 5 GPM flow rate. Also when looking at new membranes it looks like you can get 2200, 2500, and 2900 GPD for not a huge difference in price. Why wouldn't someone go up to the 2900 for a little bit more? If we did that then (in theory) with three membranes we would have 8700. I am considering pulling the hose off the carbon filter and checking the output of it.

OurTown

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I called and left a message at Huron Valley Sales on Wednesday and they have not called me back.

OurTown

Reaction score
We tested the output of the system in its current configuration and according to my calculations it is 4417 GPD which is right where it should be. The output of the carbon filter is about 30 GPM and after the prefilter it's about 21 GPM. Since the pump is 16 GPM then maybe we could just replace the membranes with the 2,900 ones and increase our daily output to 5,800. It sure would be simple and would probably be plenty.

BenBranam

Reaction score
Normally it's a lot cheaper to store water than make water. Maybe, if you have room, consider putting in another 1500 gallon tank for your RO system and that might get you enough water to run the wash. Upgrading your RO system could be $15,000 plus and putting another tank in could be less than a couple thousand (if you can make room). Depends on if you plan to have really busy times and slower times, or be busy all the time.

The best thought is to do the math and see how it works out for you. Will you have enough water on hand with your tanks full to cover your busiest times? And will there be enough time between busy times for your tanks to refill? If both those are no then I'd say look at upping your wash. Also don't forget, if you have other bays to factor that into the math.

Good luck. If you need more help message me.

BenBranam

Reaction score
I can get an 8600 GPD RO unit at retail for about $8,000.
That's a good price! Just watch for installation and set up costs, unless you can do it yourself.

Just wanted to put the tank option out there. Most of the time storing water is cheaper than making water faster.