What's new

Unwanted Person in SS bay

fastlx

Reaction score
Just wanting to get your opinions. I'll try to make this short. My wash is in a nice area and no real crime. So about 6 months ago we started noticing a truck parked in one of the bays very late at night say 1-4 am. Not every night but some nights. We would also see said truck in the bays during the day. Sometimes using the wash sometimes not. Now, my wash is not manned 24-7. We do have a camera system so we can remote in and it records. So the guy in the truck ( nicer truck, not junk) never tried to break in anything or did any damage to the wash. So about 1 month ago, this dude shoots himself in the hand inside his truck ( about 2am) and bleeds all over the place ( in the bay and outside) and has to call 911. Police, EMS come, etc..
Well we didn't even know about this until we looked at the camera ( because all the blood in the bay) and saw what happened. We in turn called the police to get some information and they said they have a case pending and has his weapon??

Problem is now this guy has started showing up again.. Not really late at night but just various times.

Please let me know what you think I should do...

Thanks,
Vic

Randy

Reaction score
Vic, we’ve had the same problem numerous times over the years. We contact the police and have the person “Trespassed”. Meaning they cannot come on to the property again. The police here have a nice form we fill out and they serve it to the person. On occasion we will just tell the person to leave the property and not ever come back, sometimes that works and sometimes we have to get the police involved. It’s amazing at how many people come to the car wash and hangout (park) in the bay for hours at a time.

fastlx

Reaction score
Thanks Randy. Since we know he has been armed before maybe the police involvement is better. Just didn't want to have him come in and vandalize anything after he is served the paper. To be honest we thought the police told him not to come back after he shot himself and he called police for his injury... we are landlocked between a McDonalds, and a Kroger. So he could just park there if he wanted and really not be on our property and harass us all the time if he wanted. Also, I don't want to be looking over my shoulder every time I'm up at the cleaners doing Maint or anything. Some people are just plain weird... Thanks again

OurTown

Reaction score
You could put up signs stating no loitering or please move out of bay when finished washing. Then there would be more of a legit reason for you (or the police) to ask him to leave. You could ask him to not come around just based on what he did there. What in the eff was he doing messing with his gun at a car wash anyway?

washnvac

Reaction score
I have those signs from Kleen-Rite that read "Customers Only"- NO loitering, soliciting, trespassing (SI51020) . Sooooo, if they ain't dropping money in a machine, they have no business on the property. The popo told me these are the signs I needed up for them to enforce.

Randy

Reaction score
I have those signs from Kleen-Rite that read "Customers Only"- NO loitering, soliciting, trespassing (SI51020) . Sooooo, if they ain't dropping money in a machine, they have no business on the property. The popo told me these are the signs I needed up for them to enforce.
It’s so much more personal to have a really nice policemen serve them with a “No Trespass” notice. Nobody really reads the signs and if they do it doesn’t pertain to them.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would say if he uses the wash, don't just run him off or have police issue a trespass notice as he is a customer, but you could either ask him politely to not park in a bay unless he's washing or post no loitering signs and make sure they're pointed out to him. Then if he doesn't comply with your polite request, you might have to get the police involved. But if you're nervous or worried about him for any reason, it's your right to ban him from the property. FWIW I've had in the last 18 years had trespass notices issued on probably two dozen people and have never had any issue with them afterward. The great thing about a criminal trespass warrant is that even if the person just walks or drives across your lot you can show the video to the police and they'll go arrest him.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Since there is a case pending cops might like to stop by when he happens to be there and perhaps their repeated visits will make him not want to be there. I wonder how the cops might learn when he is there? Hmmmm

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
On the bright side, your not as likely to get broken into there... Sounds like you have a night guard on duty... I have 4 incidences I can think of where criminals were actively breaking in (as seen on camera), and their attempt was foiled by other anonymous weirdo zombies milling around the car wash in the middle of the night.

fastlx

Reaction score
JGinther. Thats exactly what we were thinking in the beginning. Free Night security guard...

Then he goes off and shoots himself in the hand inside his truck? Gets outs and runs all around the wash bleeding everywhere....

I think we will try the signs first. ( we don't have any about loitering now)

Then politely ask him to not block the bays during the day since we are losing customers. If that doesn't work we will get the police involved.

I appreciate everyones opinion on this matter.

Thanks,

Vic

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He is not using safe firearms handling protocol. Rule #1. Treat every gun as a loaded gun.

Do what Randy said.

Overachiever

Reaction score
Then politely ask him to not block the bays during the day since we are losing customers.
I like to put the reason he's getting kicked out on other people. Say something like a customer called and said there was a truck broken down in one of the bays and ask him if he needs help pushing it into a parking spot. Then maybe you'll be able to figure out what his deal is.

Even though I'm the boss I tell a lot of the homeless guys that the boss called and said they can't be over here bugging the customers. Seems to go over a little better. I usually try to be pretty friendly and get to know there names so if they do give me issues eventually I know who to tell the cops to trespass.

My landscaper took a more aggressive approach once to try and help me out and ended up getting punched in the back of the head with a rock, and you already know this guy has a gun.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
We've had this problem off and on for years. Mostly transient people parking in a bay overnight to sleep or do drugs I guess. We started calling the police on them earlier this year when a beatup RV started dumping his waste tanks into our pits. Yuck!!!

Now we call the police on loiterers. Helps that we wash their cars for free.