What's new

Unloader Q

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Intermittently, the HP wax on my touchfree only goes to 200psi. Seems like the unloader (General Pump YU5221) is dumping the pressure.

Asked a few friends and they said it may be a broken spring. I have the exploded view and it looks like there are 2 springs; one big one and one little one. Problem is, the rebuild kit doesn't have springs, just o-rings and stuff.

What should I do and does it sound like I have diagnosed the problem correctly?

TIA/Waxman

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Most likley not the unloader spring since I doubt it would be intermittent. To check the unloader simply screw and unscrew it and watch for the pressure to go up and then back down as you unscrew. Maybe try taking it apart and checking for debris. I would also check any valves in the system.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes I thought of a solenoid for HP wax, which I think is inside the gantry on my setup. If that were sticking closed it would dump psi out the unloader relief.

Randy

Reaction score
Like Ryko Pro said, Take apart the unloader and check for any debris or damage inside the unloader, you might want to have a rebuild kit handy. Also take apart the solenoid valve for the high wax, checking for debris etc. When it only goes to 200 psi does it make any noises, does it blow water from anywhere it’s not supposed to?

I hate the intermittent type problems, there always a pain to troubleshoot