What's new

Unlimited Monthly Wash Club

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Does mike make any other claims about his membership which would be pertinent to the discussion? Maybe mike is priced higher than normal ? Maybe mike only has X number of members?
I have no interest in being a go between between you and other operators. Perhaps you would care to join the FB group and provide your insights and queries.

Jerry

Reaction score
Yea never asked you to do so and I have no interest in joining Facebook.
Would be glad to help your buddy Mike if he was looking for solutions at this forum. Take care, friend.

Jerry

Reaction score
Let me be a little more clear Robert as my response was a bit confusing.

My site washed 141,000 cars last year. on pace for 180,000+ this year 2018.
I have 3750 active monthly members as of today.
single wash pay as you go pricing starts at $10 and top exterior package is $20(hot wax & tire shine).
Membership starts at $20 and tops out at $40.

Our other location washed 110k and has 2300 active members. Same type of set up except they offer flex interior as well.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Let me be a little more clear Robert as my response was a bit confusing.

I’m still confused if not in disbelief.

3,750 X 3 washes/month X 12 months = 135,000 washes

141,000 – 135,000 = 6,000 not unlimited washes

6,000/4 washes/year = 1,500 individuals

1,500 individuals + 3,750 individuals = 5,250

5,250 X 4 washes/year = 21,000 washes per year prior to unlimited program

Maybe someone else believes this, I don’t.

Jerry

Reaction score
Oh Robert,

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think of you as a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.” Mark Twain.

While your math looks as good as something a 7 year old can do, you forgot one key element into you equations which is a very basic part of this concept.

3750 current unlimited members.

You are trying to extrapolate my volume going backwards using my current membership count. You do realize that obviously won’t work bc I didn’t have 3750 membership each and every month for the previous 12 months. If you still don’t understand this simple concept of club growth, then I will spell it out for you: I didn’t have 3750 members 12 months ago, 10 months ago, 6 months ago and so forth until I hit that number yesterday.

If you’d like to rework your math to project my 2018 numbers, feel free to try that starting with the 3750 number.

And people actually pay you for consulting work?
Maybe someone else believes this, I don’t.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you’d like to rework your math to project my 2018 numbers, feel free to try that starting with the 3750 number.

So that would be 180K less the 135K = 55K non memb?

Jerry

Reaction score
That number is relatively close Earl. I think we were at 50-53,000 total cars washed the year before we started membership. Don’t hold me to that exact figure as I haven’t looked at it in a while, but I do know my single pay volume has also increased in 5 years so if membership was just a fad and went away completely, I’d be better off today than I was 5 years ago plus I’d have another ~3700 customers who’d have to pay each time they washed.

Membership grows your business in ways I’ve never dreamed of.

*Also earl, you need to factor in growth of my membership club as I should have more than 3700 members in 4,5,6 months from now which translates into more washes each month then the basic calculations allow for.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Oh Robert,

Yeah, it’s easy to play cards after you stack the deck.

I believe you might be B.S artist. If fact, I’ll be visiting several cities in N.J. near Philly at end of this month to fish for drum.

So, give me address of your washes or website.

You called me a fool so I want to see if you are big a jackass as you seem.

Jerry

Reaction score
Clean Machine Car Wash & Detail Center
401 W. Glenside Avenue
Glenside PA 19038

Let me know what day you'll be by as I like to roll out the red carpet for Car Wash Royalty.

why do I suspect I'm being super trolled here?

jfmoran

Reaction score
I do look forward to Robert coming back into this thread after visiting Jerry's site, I visited there a couple of weeks ago and spent some time talking with he and his father. Jerry make sure you get a picture of him with egg on his face. ;)

BBE

Reaction score
Jerry-

Maybe it was already mentioned earlier in the thread, but what are your unlimited price points and regular wash prices?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
...........single wash pay as you go pricing starts at $10 and top exterior package is $20(hot wax & tire shine).
Membership starts at $20 and tops out at $40.

Compared to Chicago you are in Car wash heaven. I have been at $3.50 for about 10 years and would have raised, bu if you look at how my 3 Chicago locations are arranged geographically in a triangle with the furthest being 15 minutes drive time apart, I have had 3 washes at $3.00 base open inside the triangle (1 SS knock down and rebuild, 2 tunnel conversions) in the last 3 years, and a whole lot more outside that triangle.

Jerry

Reaction score
Compared to Chicago you are in Car wash heaven. I have been at $3.50 for about 10 years and would have raised, bu if you look at how my 3 Chicago locations are arranged geographically in a triangle with the furthest being 15 minutes drive time apart, I have had 3 washes at $3.00 base open inside the triangle (1 SS knock down and rebuild, 2 tunnel conversions) in the last 3 years, and a whole lot more outside that triangle.

I'm not as familiar with the $3 express model but I do know that people will pay for value. we have 5-6 car washes in a 5 mile radius of us that all do the same type of washing we do. Some are flex, some are full serve, all are priced relatively similar to each other(We are the highest). All offer basically the same ingredients in each package.

We choose to separate ourselves from the herd.
We clean every rim/tire by hand scrubbing, we dry every car. We offer rim cleaning and undercarriage with our basic wash. No one else does this in my area. We still have a cashier, not pay stations. It's a tremendous value for the customer to know that for $10 per wash/$20 a month, no one is going to try to upsell them on things that should be included with a basic wash like rims. Can you imagine if Mcdonalds gave you a burger but made you pay extra for a bun? I feel the same way about cleaning rims. This might be heaven bc we get a $10 top dollar for just an exterior wash, but we were the first in our market to be this high. We won't cheapen what we do and the value that we give to the customer. Being exactly like every other car wash is why it's so hard to make your customers loyal. If they can get the same relative $3.00 wash anywhere, why should their loyalty be with you when in their mind, a $3 wash is just a $3 wash? Membership breeds loyalty and completely differentiates you from your competition especially if you are already the better car wash then the guy inside the triangle.

Differentiate yourself from your competition, do the best job possible and provide extreme value for the customer and you won't be fighting tooth and nail with your competition for the same customer base.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“This might be heaven bc we get a $10 top dollar for just an exterior wash….”

La-La-Land is more like it.

I live in a megalopolis. Full-service is $10 and express wash is $4.00 with free vacuum. And that $4.00 wash is just as good as what I can do in the driveway (rims included).

If you charged $10 for a basic exterior wash here, you would starve.

Your wash is Philly Northside. Like Pitt Northside near where I grew up back in 50’s and 60’s. The area is blue collar, small old houses, narrow streets, still some brick roads, pot holes, etc. and not much new, unlike Pitt Northside which gentrified.

Five washes within five miles isn’t an excessive amount of competition by today’s standards.

“I'm not as familiar with the $3 express model but I do know that people will pay for value.”

20 or 30 years ago they did. That generation is on the way out. Today, convenience, image and price are more important.

Yeah, maybe you are in heaven.

So, pray someone doesn’t take the plunge and build a $4.0 or $5.0 million express with $3.00 or $4.00 base price within a couple of miles.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
"“I'm not as familiar with the $3 express model but I do know that people will pay for value.”"
Chicago land is littered with the carcasses of those who tried. I acquired 3 of those places.

Chicago proper is tough for new competitor to come in due to cost of dirt and no modular buildings plus going up against established places that have converted to the $3 model.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score