What's new

Unitec WashChange conversion to dollar coins

DavidM

Reaction score
I purchased a wash with a Unitec WashChange machine. I prefer to dispense dollar coins so I tried converting it. I have done it twice before on other Unitec changers with no issues.

When I change the dip switch setting to dispense 1 coin per dollar instead of 4 coins per dollar, it doesn't take effect. I have tried the reset button on the board and turning the machine off for a minute. Regardless of the dip switch setting, it will only dispense 4 coins per dollar.

Has anyone else run into this? I know it is an old machine but I am hoping someone knows this machine and has the answer

David

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going to DC or token. I don't know about unitec but I have a fair bit of experience with dip switches. If you have access to probe spots a multimeter to confirm. But I would try cleaning the switches the best you can with contact cleaner, rubbing alcahol and air and agitation. They may have oxidized not allowing the contacts to make continuity. They're usually a simple on off switch. Good luck.

DavidM

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. That is a good point about the contacts. It is a 17 year old changer and I'm sure the dip switches have never moved. I will try contact cleaner.

We have been using dollar coins for a long time. If you have any questions about changing over, feel free to ask.

David

Randy

Reaction score
The best thing you can do is to replace the Unitec Wash Changer replace it with a Hamilton RNS or a ER-60, at least with a Hamilton changer you know you'll be able to buy parts.. I can't remember when Unitec stopped production on those changers it's been so long ago. I had a changger customer buy one because it was cheap, it didn't take long or him to dump it and buy a Hamilton changer.

DavidM

Reaction score
The best thing you can do is to replace the Unitec Wash Changer replace it with a Hamilton RNS or a ER-60, at least with a Hamilton changer you know you'll be able to buy parts.. I can't remember when Unitec stopped production on those changers it's been so long ago. I had a changger customer buy one because it was cheap, it didn't take long or him to dump it and buy a Hamilton changer.
Thanks for the input. I am sure I will look at Hamilton when it is time to replace the Unitec changers but I don't agree that the best thing to do is buy a brand new changer. These have been reliable for a long time, I wish someone still made one that is as good.

DavidM

Reaction score
Cleaning the dip switches with contact cleaner worked. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reaction score
Cleaning the dip switches with contact cleaner worked. Thanks for the suggestion!
I've been so frustrated with bad dip switches iv desoldered a bunch and just used solder to bridge or Unbridge the pads. I find it super easy but you milage may vary. Im glad it worked.