What's new

Unfortunate changes to the ICA expo

JimmyJaffa

Reaction score
ICA Expo changes

For years I have always enjoyed the early bird session one of the best if not the best part of the show. This year, it will be held concurrently with the show time! Do I take an hour or 2 of visiting different vendors or go to the "networking" program. I hope enough of those that are attending that liked these sessions, will write to Sarah Murphy (smurphy@carwash.org at the ICA to reinstate this program that will not conflict with the seeing all the vendors that I/we want.

Jimmy:mad:

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
By show time do you mean the expo floor time or the educational session times as well? The schedule says the expo floor is open 16 hours, 12-6, 12-6, 9-1.

I would think you could see a lot of vendors plus do the networking in the time allowed, but that's just me. Plus, I hated getting up early after a late night.

JimmyJaffa

Reaction score
Earl that is correct, concurrently with the show. I guess I am on eastern time, do not gamble much, and I get up early their. Most years, I have not had time to go back and talk to someone who was busy the first time I went by.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I can't say enough about the early bird sessions. Granted, I have only read them in print from my back issues of SSCWN, but I love em. I think I learned more and got better ideas from those few pages, than anywhere (except the forum :D). Since I can't make it, I will looking forward to the SSCWN issue with them.

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
There is an Early Bird this year?!! Geez, I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought that there would be no Early Bird at this Expo, ... cuz I did not see it listed among the "Educational Sessions".

How the heck did I miss that? Exactly where is that posted on the ICA site? What day, what time?

Thanks!

JJJ/SSCWN
---------------------------
The Poster Formerly Known

jprb

Reaction score
I think I would prefer a Night Owl session. I don't do mornings! I signed up one year to go to several things and didn't make it!

JPRB

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I always enjoy the earlybird sessions and I also value my exhibit floor time. I don't think I will like the new format, but will give it a chance. I don't like having an either/or scenario. The night owl idea might work, but I think you would have just as many people that have other plans as you do the one that "Don't do mornings". We'll see, but I'll bet the earlybirds are back next year.

Jarrett, I don't think the info is posted. I got my info from double L.

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
Okay, for you Early Bird mavens, here's what happnin' at this year's Expo. Claire from the ICA tells me that:

"We are not having Early Bird sessions in their traditional format this year, but rather have scheduled two self-serve 'chat sessions' on the trade show floor in one of our meeting spots on Thursday and Friday. We have identified 'facilitators' for each of these chats, and they will work very much like an Early Bird session did in the past.

"The self-serve chats are scheduled for 1:00 pm on Thursday and 2:00 pm on Friday. We will be publicizing these sessions at the show. We are hopeful to have good attendance as they will no longer be limited to those who purchased a deluxe or educational badge for the show."

BTW, here's an interesting & amusing explanation as to why attendance at Early Bird's has been so good ... especially in Vegas. According carwash sage Bob Ivory, it's really not all that counter intuitive. Yes, Vegas is a town where late night cavorting is almost mandatory. But it's so much so that a lot of guys don't have all that much trouble getting up to make it to a 6:30 or 7:00 session --- cuz they haven't been to bed yet! http://forum.autocareforum.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

JJJ/SSCWN
-----------------------------
The Poster Formerly Known

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There really are people in this industry who don't do mornings?

Maybe in 20 years I could have that luxury. Then again, maybe not!:p

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
I'm with Jimmy! As an exhibitor it seems the show management is always piggybacking some session or free food into the time allotted for Expo hours. It usually just kills traffic on the floor. Organize these sessions just like all the educational or business sessions. For those that don't do mornings, do an evening session. Leave our exhibit time alone!!

Uncle Sam :(

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I have always found it annoying that seminars and meetings are scheduled during exhibit hours. I like to attend as many as I can but I also have a responsibility to be on the show floor. With some of the companies I have worked with it would also have beneficial for them to send newer employees to seminars but often could not because of booth responsibilities.

Anything that draws attendees away from the exhibits does not favor the exhibitors or the attendees. It seems like the schedule is set up at the convenience of the ICA and Smith Bucklin not for the people paying the bills - the exhibitors and attendees.