What's new

Undercoating

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are there any operators out there with experience in applying factory-type waxy undercoating to vehicles?

What are the pros and cons of this service? Price point?

They used to apply it at Ziebart Tidy Car as well as Buff n Shine in Keene, NH.

Seems there is an opportunity there, especially in cold-weather climates, and with folks looking for more longevity from vehicles.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Aren't new cars factory coated with whatever is needed? I imagine it would work for the people that didn't know that they didn't need it. Just like the Jiffy Lubes that tell you that you need this and that. They are the last place I'd go again, but one time I was in there they called me out to the car and showed me the computer screen and it had a big Honda logo on it and it said that it was time for a transmission oil change. Most people would just say "OH ok".

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Almost all of the major undercoating companies have either gone under or have tried to diversifiy like Ziebart. That should give you an idea of how good a move this might be.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
I seem to recall a notification from most of the OEMs about 20 years ago alerting dealers to stop providing the undercoating service as an aftermarket option applied at the dealership. The OEM took the position that any vehicles with an aftermarket treatment would void the OEM warranty for rust and corrosion. Companies like Rusty Jones, Quaker State, TST and similar companies quickly phased out of the business; some went bankrupt. The legal exposure to numerous claims of non-performance and the slick warranties offered on the coattails of the Polyglycoat fiasco of the 70's hastened their demise.

I strongly suggest that you avoid getting involved with the service.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good info. Decision made. (nay).\

Onto the next thing!

MEP001

Reaction score
Around here there's no shortage of people to do bed liners, and plenty that have a very good reputation of doing it right. Might be a good idea, but I'd recommend researching it first.

What about paintless dent repair?

Reaction score
How about gold plating and window tinting, I have one customer that does window tinting , detailing, and car electronics and he does very well.