What's new

Ultra Filtration / Reclaim Water Polishing

br549ms

Reaction score
I realize that Reclaim has been hashed over several times in the forum.

However what about after the reclaim? Who is utilizing Ultra Filtration or Water Polishing of reclaim water? I have read some literature about the systems that remove solids down to less than a micron and then feed a RO. The output water can then be used for chemical wash applications. Why not go straight from the UF / Polishing to the wash and use the RO for normal spot free only.

mac

Reaction score
OK br549, I had to read this twice to make sure I wasn't misreading it. While this may be true someplace on the planet, I doubt that it can be done. Most reclaim systems get the rocks out and sometimes control the odor. I'm sure there are filtration systems that can filter down to one micron, but my guess is it would need tons of maintenance. Should you make it work please let us know the details.

br549ms

Reaction score
I am looking for more info myself, not ready to make the leap. While at a couple of conventions last year we looked sat in a few seminars about UF. I agree with you it is more than likely very costly to maintain.

And I was wrong about the micron size, ConServ claims .01 micron. Here is their link.

http://www.con-servwater.com/UF.html

mac

Reaction score
Filtration down to .01 microns?!!! That is two orders of magnitude greater than any other system I have ever heard of. I am in FL and see a lot of ConServe systems at washes. Almost every one I have seen is not being used because the owner said it was junk. I would like to see the proof of this, not a salesman's claim.

br549ms

Reaction score
I don't wish to promote any manufacture's equipment, but I have a Con-Serv series II (stainless steel frame and filters), with Ozone and have been using it for over 2 years. It works advertised. I had to figure out where in the wash to use it and maintain it regularly, not very forgiving if not maintained. I do believe the other systems out there would work just as well as Con-Serv, they all basically work the same. I have reduced my fresh water usage by 60% using reclaim, reject and other processes.

Back to the UF, looks like they use membranes similar the ones used in RO, maybe not as restrictive depending on what you are filtering. Still would love to here from someone who is using something like this.

Thanks

mac

Reaction score
If they use membranes similar to a normal RO unit mu guess is they would clog up pretty fast with reclaim water. Ask them for some references of real operators that you can talk to.

OurTown

Reaction score
Maybe they accidentally put the decimal in the wrong spot in their specs.

mac

Reaction score
They are talking about orders of magnitude better filtration. Simple fact is that when you filter anything out, you end up with many, many tiny filtered particles. Wher do those go and how do they get there?

Reaction score
My day job is a biomedical equipment engineer at a large hospital. We have scope washers that have three filters, a 1 micron, a .4 micron, and a .1 micron that work to progressively filter the water. My guess would be that the size of the filters would be a major factor in the efficacy of such a system. They would also probably have to be changed a lot if the water is dirty. Of course that would only filter out sediment.

Etowah