What's new

Ultimate Polycarb Door Overhaul

Buzzie8

Reaction score
My ultimate doors are seven years old. Last year I replaced a bunch of hardware, seals, belts, and other items to get them back in shape. They still seemed to go up and down very slowly compared to when they were new. I think the reason are in the hinges and wheels. I want to start fresh this year and do a complete overhaul if needed. I was wondering how I can tell how freely these doors should be moving under pressure from me pushing them up and down by hand. Also, if you were to do a complete refurbish what process would you take. I'd love to buy new doors but they are not in budget this year because of some other major upgrades I performed this summer.

soapy

Reaction score
You did not mention how your doors are counter balanced. Is it with weights or springs? What type of opener do you have, air or electric? Your doors should be balanced so you can move the door up and down easily when the opener is unhooked.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
You did not mention how your doors are counter balanced. Is it with weights or springs? What type of opener do you have, air or electric? Your doors should be balanced so you can move the door up and down easily when the opener is unhooked.
Counter balanced with weights, and air operated. neoprene wheels on metal tracks. belt driven. Air regulators were also replaced and air adjustments were made last year. Seems like there is a lot of resistance when I take belt off and try to open and close doors by hand.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
If you don't have the bearingless wheels they may be dragging. Most likely the doors are too tight against the building, which is good to keep the cold air out, but makes them drag, so you can loosen the track a little to get rid of the drag. Also should check the bearings on the shaft--Have they been greased, or are they shot and causing the drag.

soapy

Reaction score
When your doors are down the weight can should generally be very near the top. If your counter wieght uses a belt as the belt winds it provides a CAM action. If you have a cable on the weight the drum will have the cam action built in. It is easy to get your counter weight out of position. Make sure your counter weight is all the way to the top when the door is down.

washnvac

Reaction score
Did you replace the little mufflers on the side of the control box? And the speed adjustments on the air cylinder? These will cause the door to move slowy, if they are clogged. Ultimate recommends replacing those yearly. I do it just at the beginning of Winter. Both of thoses items can trap dirt, etc. that slow the release of air; which in turn slows the doors up or downward movement.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
When your doors are down the weight can should generally be very near the top. If your counter wieght uses a belt as the belt winds it provides a CAM action. If you have a cable on the weight the drum will have the cam action built in. It is easy to get your counter weight out of position. Make sure your counter weight is all the way to the top when the door is down.
Soapy,
Are you refering to Ultimate doors? I know I have counter weights on a belt but when I took the covers off last year I could not find anything that looked wrong. It seemed that they could be causing the problem though. Also, for the other post. I am pretty sure there are no bearings in the wheels that run in the track. There could be bearings in the shaft that holds the belt gear though. Thanks for your help all.
Buzzie