What's new

Ultimate door chains vs belts

Etowah

Reds

Reaction score
Does anyone with ultimate doors have any experience converting from belts to chain drive? Or anyone who has chain drive doors - have you had any problems with them. Particularly if you are in cold climate. I have belt drive doors that keep jumping a tooth, which leaves a gap at the bottom of the door. That allows ice to build up and make the doors stick. Also no shortage of broken belts. I have been told that the chains wear out a lot of sprockets. Any input would be appreciated.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Does anyone with ultimate doors have any experience converting from belts to chain drive? Or anyone who has chain drive doors - have you had any problems with them. Particularly if you are in cold climate. I have belt drive doors that keep jumping a tooth, which leaves a gap at the bottom of the door. That allows ice to build up and make the doors stick. Also no shortage of broken belts. I have been told that the chains wear out a lot of sprockets. Any input would be appreciated.
Reds,

A quite few years ago we bought a bunch of Zap door openers from Airlift in Minneapolis. If it is only ice & not any other problems with your overhead doors, the 24 VDC Zap operators could potentially work out. We have them set up so a small air cylinder with linkage engages the belt (as needed) via some fancy controls with our Measurement Computer PCI board within an onsite 24/7 computer. Since I am talking self service bays only ... for the usage of our four 10'x10' overhead doors & our two 11'x13' overhead doors ... I am thinking your application is different. Yours is probably for your automatic bays??? We make the customers get out of their cars & manually open & close each door ... which works out well in a self service setting in the colder climate of North Dakota. Our Zap Operators are great to close from us an occasionally left open door by a customer. We can close doors with our remote desktop app from our cell phones as needed along with watching 2 pertinent cameras simultaneously to help prevent a potential accident (no photo eyes or bottom of door sensor). Ice is not the biggest problem for us ... making sure our rollers always mesh with the track properly ... is definitely an ongoing process. Oh, how lucky those milder climate operators are! :)

We have Strapeze Counterweight polycarbonate Alaskan doors ... maybe someone with the newer flexible material doors can chime in. They could make themselves useful as some life saving guinea pigs who can help the rest of us ... with accurate long term information.

I hope this is understandable & helps because that is my intent.

mike walsh http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html

Etowah