What's new

Uh, oh!

pgrzes

Reaction score
Where does that fit in? I believe it all fits in rather nicely, so I see no need to clarify my statements

I dont think you believe anything you say!!! We all dont!!!

As for expert, I’ve made a living consulting for last 17 years. I’ve written seven carwash books, one is in the Library of Congress.

Thats doesnt mean your an expert!!! It could mean your just a good "SNAKE OIL SALESMAN" We as operators that actually have our "OWN" $$$$ Involved are experts!!!!!

As for self-serve, I probably have close to 200 projects under my belt.

With other peoples $$$$$. Again Snake "OIL SALESMAN!!!" Are they ALL/ANY successful?? with no skin in the game you dont care!!!

Do I own a self-serve? No, I’m 64 years old and have better things to do.
So you are saying that self serve owners are what??? Wasting their time? I do rather well with my SS, That you were not able to bait me into your sales pitch!!! Just because you wrote books, and advised other companies into your ideas and opinions dont mean SH**!! You always come off as a know it all and talk down to everyone on here about how you know everything and we know nothing!!! I say SUCK IT!!!!

OHHHH that felt better!!!! I bit my lip for too long on this one!!!!!
I know ill get a few laughing my ass off phone calls today.

As for Self Serve guys on Tokens, if your not using them, you are losing a profit item. I make .77 per token if they disappear. Probably about 5k a year!!! They also will reduce vandalism. once your acceptors are setup for them they are no agg. Yes the occasional blowhard that doesnt read the sign and wants $$$ back. Ok off to collect some CASH!!!!

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I know one thing a piece of Fels-Naptha soap would go a long way to help clean up that offensive language.

“Ok off to collect some CASH!!!!”

Watch out for them wooden nickels.

I’m going to talk to an owner with over 50 gas sites that want to put in some tunnels.

Maybe one of them will be in your back yard.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
So…

Yesterday, after realizing that I’d chased off another potentially loyal customer, I took your “admonishment” to heart and began working on my customer skills.

First, I was hanging off the ladder, feverishly fixing a customer-damaged boom when a gentleman steps into the bay.

Him: “Can I get change for my $20?”
Me: “Certainly, the bill changers accept $20 bills.”
Him: “Well, I don’t want $20 in quarters.”
Me: “The changer pays out $1 coins.”
Him: “I don’t want all those tokens.”
Me: “No sir…they’re US $1 coins. You can spend them anywhere. Or, you can use your credit card…”
Him: “Well, I don’t want to waste $5 on my credit card just to wash my car.”
Me…thinking: “So I’m supposed to climb down, swap your $20 for some smaller denominations so you aren’t ‘inconvenienced’?”

As I figure out a way to secure the boom, I look down to see him walk away. I hear as he slams his car door and drives away…in his brand new (temporary license tag still affixed) $80,000 Audi S7.

Later, I’m wandering the lot and witness a couple of older women struggling with the bay equipment.

Me: “Can I be of any assistance?”
Woman 1: “We can’t make this work right.”
Woman 2: “And, we’ve already spent $10 trying!”

Remembering Robert Roman’s Loyalty Program, I spring into action and drop $5 into the meter.

Me: “Let’s see if we can get this going.”
I switch to pre-soak and give the car a thorough coating. Then, tire cleaner.

Woman 1: “Oh…we didn’t see that spray thingy. We were trying to get it from the handle.”
Woman 2: “And, then the handle doesn’t spray much at all!”

I select High Pressure Soap and pull the trigger. I smile as they squeak and look at each other…realizing they had failed to pull the trigger. I handed the gun to Woman 1…she nearly fell over when she pulled the trigger.

Woman 1: “Oh my! I don’t think I can hold on…it’s too strong!”

I took the gun back and sprayed down the car…doing my “professional” washing thing. I explained the process as I went through all the selections.

Me: “There you go ladies. A nice clean car. I hope to see you again.”
Woman 1: “Well, thank you, young man.”
Woman 2: “Yes, thank you. How much do we owe you?”
Me: “It’s my pleasure. Thanks for coming in today.”

As we chat, they tell me about moving to The Villages…in Florida…and how Woman 1’s grandson will be getting this car as a graduation present.

Woman 2: “He’s flying in from Omaha this weekend to drive it back. He’s so excited!”
Woman 1: “Yes, we figured he’d appreciate having it cleaned up for the trip.”
Me: “Well, isn’t that wonderful.”

I think I might be doing this Loyalty thing wrong? :p

Stuart

Reaction score
I too shake my head as people come up to ask for change for a $10 or a $20 (have had some w/$50)and wonder what they do when I am not there for them to ask.

We only have change for small coin-dimes and nickels- . We give tkns and $C in the changers and also accept credit cards in the bays. We will not give change for bills, the last thing I want people to see is I walk into the ER and return in 20 seconds with change. I think of it mostly as a security issue. Not only when the location is unattended at night (a break in) but also when we are there on a slow day.

I even have concerns when people see us collecting the money, I try to keep as low key as possible during this time up to the time the money gets deposited at the bank.

I always think this every time I am asked for change. A lot of the time they go ahead and use the $20 or what gets me is, they put the $20 back into the billfold and pull out a five or 3 ones and use the changer. AND it is the customers who uses the carwash, has asked before and knows what our changer dispenses.