What's new

Ugh. Might need to throw away my SS equip and start over

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I built a 4 bay SS about 12 years ago. I put in a Magic Wand SS system that uses VFDs to control the motors and run all functions, except foam brush, through the Cat pumps.

System has worked fine until a few weeks when one morning none of the VFDs worked anymore. Thinking we had a power spike that fried the VFDs.

Well, Magic Wand seems to have gone out of business, and I can no longer get ahold of the distributor who sold and installed the system originally.

I don't think I can just order a new VFD and swap it in as I have no idea what the original programming parameters are.

It's looking like I'll have to just junk the complicated VFD system and it's associated parts, and install standard contact starters and a low-pressure system. Just not sure if I can find someone to mate up my existing system with a new starter system.

Can anyone point me in a direction to get some help? I'm in Central California.

And if I have to junk the entire system, any recommendations for a basic 4 bay SS equipment company? Things have changed a lot since I built the place 12 years ago. Doesn't seem like there are many SS distributors in CA anymore.

Thanks.

Randy

Reaction score
That’s one of the major drawbacks on installing VFD’s. When they go you’re screwed. They are very expensive to replace. Magic Wand, Inc. was acquired by Istobal USA Corporation back in 2011. Here’s a link to their web site they might be able to help you https://www.istobal.com/usa/ I would replace the VFD’s with motor contactor and install a low pressure system. On my 35 year old S/S equipment I just have a simple motor contactor that starts my pump, nothing fancy and a low pressure system that gives me very little problems. I learned many years ago, KISS keep it simple stupid.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
System has worked fine until a few weeks when one morning none of the VFDs worked anymore. Thinking we had a power spike that fried the VFDs.
I sincerely doubt that all of the VFDs are bad. If you suffered a power spike, you would likely have many other electrical failures at the same time. VFD's have giant capacitors to help absorb transient voltages, so it would have to have been a direct hit to take out all of them. Are you sure that the system doesn't use a central controller of some sort to communicate to the VFDs? There are several ways to make them run - but most likely is by single bit input. More complicated way is by 232 or 485 communication. In the later case, a simple broken wire connection can cause what you describe as your problem. Do you know how the VFDs are told to turn on?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I wonder if customkraft would be willing to sell a conversion kit. They use the same principle on their systems. Regardless, any competent tech should be able to design and modify your system to work the old school way.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd also go with standard contactors and add separate low-pressure systems. I've not had a lot of experience with equipment that uses the main pump for everything but one thing they have in common is chemical waste.

toddmullens

Reaction score
Polically correct way is Keep it simple Sugar! I remember getting in trouble back in high school for telling a teacher to keep it simple stupid! Screw PC! 😂

OurTown

Reaction score
It's all in how you say it. Your teacher heard "keep it simple......STUPID!" for some reason. That'll get you in trouble every time.