What's new

U-Haul Dealership~Y or N?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
U-Haul wants to put a dealership on my lot.

Should I do it?

Yes or no and why/why not???

Thank you!

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I see the U-Haul down the street from my house ALWAYS Busy with people I even fill up my propane tanks there too. We wash alot of U-Haul vehicles headed back to the store after people are done using them.

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
The repair shop next door had a U-Haul outlet. He complained all the time that they wanted him to repair their junk for free. He let it go after a couple of years saying even though he made a little profit it just wasn't worth the trouble.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
The repair shop next door had a U-Haul outlet. He complained all the time that they wanted him to repair their junk for free. He let it go after a couple of years saying even though he made a little profit it just wasn't worth the trouble.
It appears that way around here as well. It never stays in the same place over a year or two.

4csuns

Reaction score
We've been a Penske Truck Rental Agent 14 years now. Some of our extra business comes from people so very unhappy with U-Haul...in other words U-Haul is GREAT for our business. Make an inquiry of Penske is my suggestion, you won't be sorry. Roger Penske runs his truck rental business like he runs his race teams: first class all the way.

Etowah

Louise

Reaction score
I am a U-Haul dealer at my mini storage. We may do about $6K this year, so not much. Does bring storage customers in though.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
In my travels I have heard pros and cons - mostly cons. I think it has a lot to do with your area of the country as to what the business becomes. Seems like having to deal with a lot of short term business and returns can make it a real hassle. Probably also have a lot to do with what you are willing to put up with. I have hard the same good things about Penske but I understand they are also more demanding which may mean a greater commitment. Bottom line, from my experience I would probably look into something else to add to my business.

MudMoney

Reaction score
Are you going to run it or are they just renting the ground?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would run it.

Thanks for the replies.

Good info so far.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I am always a little skeptical of adding on a business that takes away from your core business. Detailing and detail services are related to car washing. It is difficult to add something either not directly related to you core or time consuming to the mix. It may cause you to lose focus on what your main business should be.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I don't see Uhaul as being any different than car rentals. They are in it to make money for their shareholders and treat you like a customer (suck as much money out of you as possible with providing very little in return). Add the poor reputation Uhaul has and I'm would not do it.

But you never know until you try and you will learn something from it. I suspect you won't make much money.

Bob C.

Reaction score
We were a U-Haul dealer for three months it was a lot of work for very little money.
The busy time for U-Haul is the same for the car wash Sat-Sun. You do not need U-Haul, just my 2cents.

Chuck Ivey

Reaction score
U-Haul

My buddies had U-Haul for years. Constant struggle to get trucks. They switched to Penske and never looked back. :)

MudMoney

Reaction score
This might not apply to your area,out here in the "sticks" the u-haul dealer seems to be on the road alot ferrying trucks between the other dealerships as he is always looking for drivers on short notice.I happen to agree with others about getting away from your core business.