What's new

Typical Install Costs on new WW Razor

washregal

Reaction score
Looking at taking out an old Pro Navigator IBA and installing a new WW Razor - What should my estimated costs be in terms of install - Take out old - and install new - Turn Key costs.. Just curious on other owners experience. Rough estimate would be great.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
The last quote I reviewed for in-bay install was $20,000. This did not include any expense for electrical or plumbing work, permits, or removal of old equipment.

wash4me

Reaction score
Whoever you get be sure to get either a turnkey price or if they want you to get electrical and plumbing separate and do the rest they need to include all hose parts etc. Any opening to charge more and you can count on it.

mac

Reaction score
Holy crap! 20K for an install is outrageous. Were they using the Hooters girls as helpers? I charge 7 to 12K which does not include new electric.

washregal

Reaction score
You guys are great.. I need to beat down on the costs of my supplier.. How much would oyu imagine the equipment cost might be? Has anyone installed a REVV? just curious how much dollar difference between the standard Razor and the REVV.. and if the additional features / options would be worth it...

mac

Reaction score
This is always an interesting conversation. Many suppliers, which I am one of, get creative when quoting machines. Sometimes they will keep the machine cost low to seemingly make it more competitive, while adding money to the other things. The distributor needs to make a decent profit in order to service the machine. You need to save as much as you can to keep your profits there. Finding that sweet spot in the middle sometimes takes a little haggling and head scratching. I do think it's good to post the prices here in the open.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I agree with Mac. Make sure any quote includes everything that needs to be done to be operational. I have seen distributors leave out softeners, RO units and even on one occasion a dryer in an attempt to be low bidder. Get several estimates and compare them carefully.

washregal

Reaction score
Mac - I could not agree more.. I am up for my distributor to make a profit.. just not pull my pants down in the process. Can anyone post prices on Washworld Razor and Revv ? Pr perhaps PDQ machine touchless? If you can also post options pricing it would be great.. I am in an area that has limited distributors SE PA -and this means minimal competition.. Distributors and suppliers know this and try and get the best bang for the buck.. I am not interested in paying margin to a distributor up front for the service of a new machine.. If they want to charge for a service contract.. thats a different issue.

wash4me

Reaction score
Get on the phone and call the distributors in the next state over. If that doesn't work write a letter to Washworld. They probably won't reply directly with action but they can't afford to have distributors ripping folks off. Any possibility they have put all their mark up on the new machine on the install price to help you with sales taxes?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“20K for an install is outrageous. I charge 7 to 12K…”

I don’t believe you are charging enough.

For example, $20,000 was 11 percent of the total equipment ($180,000). Today, maybe you can pay your help and make 10 percent margin on this.

In other words, if total equipment was $75,000, less expensive machine, I would still want $20,000 because it’s the same amount of work as installing $180,000 machine.

Install for conveyors is 16 to 18 percent of total equipment. There is not much margin in this either.

Selling direct has taken profit out of install work.

Distributor margins use to be 25 percent of equipment spending. I would imagine 20 percent is more like it now.

Consider Generation Growth Capital’s acquisition of Harrell’s Car Wash Systems. Harrell’s is big distributorship, multiple brands (including Istobal) and services four states. Why did owner sell out to private equity firm and now GM is running the show?

Generation isn’t going to keep so what does that say about industry?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“I am not interested in paying margin to a distributor up front for the service of a new machine.”

Profit from equipment sale was used to cover my selling expense, overhead, taxes and other operating expenses. Left over was owner’s benefit.

This equation left no room for “up front for the service of a new machine.”

Customer paid for equipment, install (erection fee), mechanical, electrical and plumbing work, sales tax and freight.

Train customer and then its factory warranty (parts and labor).

Would you give a carwash customer a re-wash voucher good for several weeks?

mac

Reaction score
Bob I didn't realize you were talking about a conveyor system. The price I mentioned was for an inbay automatic. It generally takes us about a week to install, program the washes, calibrate the chemicals, check all components on the gantry (you would be surprised at how many things can loosen up by trucking a machine 1,000 miles), and then fine tuning the wash programs. If it's out of town with motels and restaurants, it's on the higher side. I still like the idea of the Hooters helpers.

washregal

Reaction score
Do most installers offer the electrical part as well? Thinking a Washworld Razor with a few options is roughly 80K - Can I expect to pay 20K for install - complete turnkey? Would i be able to get out of there with paystation / signage / and machine install for 100K?

soonermajic

Reaction score
$20k is not outrageous, unless as Robert stated it didn't include electrical & plumbing. Then it is prison rape!

mac

Reaction score
washregal, that would be tight. Besides the machine, you have to pay freight to get it to you ans state sales tax. There are good used paystations ( I have a used Hamilton for 3K) Someone needs to include the electric. If your installer doesn't include it, or doesn't know a sparky to do it, be very leary of him. There are good used touchless machines out there that would allow you to do the whol thing for around 70 to 80K. Going all new will blow past the 100K.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Really the question is turnkey possible for $100K?

Assume base price is $60K, signs and install kit $7K, dryer system $12K, pay station $12K, tri-foam $5K, door control $5K, cold climate $0, remote mgmt $0, subtotal $101K, install $10K, sales tax $8K, FOB $5K, elec/plumb $10K, total $134K.

So, $100K is possible if corners are cut (compromised).

Ryko recently had a promotion for $100K turnkey but even this price did not include installation, sales tax, FOB, etc.

Like Mac suggested “used” may be the way to go if budget is tight.

kroy

Reaction score
I just received a quote today for a WW razor , including all the other equipment needed for a new site. The total for all the equipment and install was a total of $203k. I think this is waaaaaay too high. I was ready to go with WW, now looking into other brands.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I think that PDQ's new friction machine, SurfLine, is about $200k total. It, oddly enough, has 2 separate bridges. Very nice machine though. I would've thought a new WW Razor, w/ new bells/whistles, would be in high $100s...so $200k is not out of the question.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
$200k sounds about right to me for everything: W.W Razor with added options, Paystation with added options, Doors, Electrical, Plumbing and installation.

kroy

Reaction score
The $203k was for razor, paystation, RO, dryers, and install. But no doors(which are expensive). And I was told I would need my own licensed plumber & electrician on site that would be at my expense on top of the 203k