What's new

TunnelWatch Problem

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Intermittently, for about the last 30 days, there have been characters displayed on our TunnelWatch monitor. It is not unique to any page, i.e. totals, daily report, service counts, etc. all have the same problem. DRB suggested a loose connection to the monitor. These were checked and tightened and there were no probs for a couple of days. Today, about half of the screen is filled with characters & letter of the alphabet where blank screen should be.

Tomorrow, the monitor will be swapped to see what happens. In the meantime, has anyone had a similar experience and been able to define the problem.

Thanks.

MC

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Swapped monitors this morning; problem persists. Top half of screen is illegible due to black spaces and characters which include arrows, male & female symbols, faces, spades, hearts, musical notes,......
Is my hard drive about to crash? I'd like to reboot the computer but I'm afraid TW won't come back. Are there diagnostic commands in DOS that could help shed some light on this?
Thanks.
MC

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
You might need a new video card. How old is this computer? Tunnel watch runs on DOS, which is slow but reliable. I'm pretty sure that DRB has new CPU's for Tunnel watch available.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You might need a new video card. How old is this computer? Tunnel watch runs on DOS, which is slow but reliable. I'm pretty sure that DRB has new CPU's for Tunnel watch available.
yep, They got 'em. Recently cost me about $3000.00 for one. Started out as a $1500.00 quote, but then my tech guy says make sure you get the IO board. (add $750.00) Apparently when we replaced one about 5 years ago they sent it w/out this board and we pulled it from the old unit. Also needed to upgrade software (add $50.00). since past version does not run on new units. I think therewere some other add ons as well. Could have tried to reuse some old boards, but thought it was penny wise and pound foolish.

DAVough

Reaction score
Mr. Clean, your post regarding your TunnelWatch system was brought to my attention this morning. I am the Director of Customer Support here at DRB Systems and would like to get this problem resolved for you ASAP. The post from Washmee regarding the video card could indeed be the problem. I am not sure of your wash name to contact you so please give me a call or send an email at your convenience. DAVough@DRBSystems.com. 330-645-3299. Thanks

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Thanks, one & all. Talked to my distributor's tech this morning and he suggested the video card also. The system is 3.5 yrs old. Will get more tech data when I hit the site later today.

MC

PS> shut computer off last night and the screen was okay at start-up this morning, but after several minutes became "splotchy" and now I'm told top half is useless.

No problem is insurmountable - it just takes time & money.................

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
RE: Tunnel Watch Problem

I think I may have dodged a bullet on this one. The computer screen hieroglyphics have cleared and it's been completely normal since last Thursday.
I believe that problem was temperature related. The office has not been above 60 degrees in months until the unseasonal heat wave we just experienced. As the temp decreased, the problem decreased. Wednesday, I opened the computer case and blew out 3.5 years worth of dust that covered everything; now it can breathe. So far, so good, but time will tell. This may be the rationalization to finally put A/C in for the summer months. Much cheaper than the alternatives.

Dane and the good folks at DRB tech were very helpful, despite us not being a subscribed service member, in trying to get to the route of the problem. Thanks, guys. Just don't need that kind of expense at the moment, if it can be avoided.

So, the lesson here is, sometimes procrastination does pay off. And keep your computers clean!

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on the problem.

MC