What's new

tunnel freezing

el jefe

el jefe
Reaction score
Is there anything you all have heard besides a wind door for keeping the tunnel from freezing.... A cloth tunnel-- no hot water-- Didn't know if you guys had any tips or tricks such as: tube heater placement-exit end or entrance end... down wind or up wind????

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Two of 4 tunnels have wind doors. all have at least 2 heaters, one at the exit and one at the entrance. Some have more, either one in the middle and / or more at the entrance / exit. All Have hot water which is manifolded in to Solution make up tanks and / or brush feeds. Number of heaters and amount of hot water in use can be adjusted as neccessary. Also have some Diesel / Kerosene torpedo heaters used if a regular heater goes down or in extreme conditions. Only once in recent memory have we closed because we could not keep ice from forming on the brushes. It was only about 5 degrees below zero, but must have had some bad wind conditions.

I also have an extra Hot water manifold at my pre soak arch with a dead man's switch that the loader can operate when it gets down to about 5 degrees. This keeps the windshields from flash freezing where the customer cannot see to exit. I think hot water availability is a neccessity because it is one of the best way to thaw frozen air or water lines. You can't really use a torch to thaw poly tubing.