What's new

Tunnel Equipment Preference?

Johnsmyname

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. I'm new to the industry and have been lurking on here awhile. I'm getting into my first wash, but have an uncle with 3 and a SS, so I do have some base knowledge.

The property I'm buying will need an entirely new tunnel (100'). I'm wondering what equipment manufacturers you guys like best? Money is always a concern, but since I'm borrowing on a 20 year loan, I'd rather buy better quality with less break downs and maintenance than try to save a few bucks initially. My uncle uses MacNeil and likes it a lot. I'm also looking into Belanger and Motor City.

What do you guys suggest? Pros and cons? Also, if you are comfortable sharing the what you paid, please send me a PM.

Thanks, John

MC3033

Reaction score
Most equipment is fairly well built. You should have no issue getting 20+ years out of aluminum or stainless equipment. Very few manufacturers offer anything that is not one of the two.

If you are looking for less breakdowns you will want to go with a simpler piece of equipment. I would take a hard look at Sonny’s, AVW and Peco if you want simple.

If this is a higher volume express wash format you are doing I would say take a hard look at Sonny’s. They have some equipment modules that take up very little space and likely the only option you can fit with 2 sets of wraps (highly recommend if you don’t want to scrub back ends manually or have iffy quality). They have all pricing online. If you have a local distributor you may be able to negotiate some level of discount.

Lastly, I would look hard at what equipment is best supported in your area. Unless you are rather handy you will want a local distributor

Johnsmyname

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply MC. I’ll add Sonny’s to the list. I’m guessing the yearly count to be 50-60k once I get things going. Ideally I’d like the equipment to get back sides of most vehicles, but will have it attended at all times. Good to know I can fit 2 sets of wraps even with 100’.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Hey John, you starting point for equipment needs to start with the support and service you will get from your local distributor. Check us out at Sonny's, we are the largest manufacturer in the industry and our support and service offerings is second to none. If you are in the Mid-Atlantic region, I'm happy to have a conversation with you. Otherwise, you can click on the link below to find the SSO for your area.

Sonny's CarWash Services | Sonny’s The CarWash Factory (sonnysdirect.com)

Best of Luck

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply MC. I’ll add Sonny’s to the list. I’m guessing the yearly count to be 50-60k once I get things going. Ideally I’d like the equipment to get back sides of most vehicles, but will have it attended at all times. Good to know I can fit 2 sets of wraps even with 100’.
50k - 60k what?

Car count on the road = good
wash volume = bad

50k cars wash volume isn't very good. Not much left over after payroll and all expenses. And they all go up every year.

I wouldn't put money into a site unless I knew it would wash over 100k cars per year.

YMMV.

Johnsmyname

Reaction score
The 50-60k is the car tunnel count. Looking at the financials and comparing to other washes the numbers do add up to a decent net. I’m in the Northeast with washes ranging from $11 to $23 and averaging somewhere a little higher than the middle. What part of country are you in and what’s your average wash cost?

washnshine

Reaction score
The 50-60k is the car tunnel count. Looking at the financials and comparing to other washes the numbers do add up to a decent net. I’m in the Northeast with washes ranging from $11 to $23 and averaging somewhere a little higher than the middle. What part of country are you in and what’s your average wash cost?
I’m in the northeast too - Western New York. Building brand new, you might want to check what some other washes are doing in volume in similar populated towns and traffic counts. Where are you?

Last edited:

Johnsmyname

Reaction score
I’m in MA. It’s hard to find that kind of information. I’ve looked over my uncles books and his numbers vary from about the same to a little better car count wise, but in line with what I’m looking at in relation to traffic and per car net.

washnshine

Reaction score
A lot of operators mix and match for the tunnels. That is one of the big advantages when you build from the ground up - from scratch - you have the pick of the litter.

I know of one guy who uses all AVW equipment, but has a Pettit 360 tunnel version as an autoprep.
Another operator I know uses Mc Neil, but puts in a Belanger hydro mitter in all of his locations.
Check out all the pieces of equipment the manufacturers make - you might find certain pieces you really like, even though the majority your system might be something else.
Sonny’s is great -there is a local chain around me that is up to 30 locations and they have used Sonny’s exclusively.
There is a lot of solid stuff out there from many companies.

Johnsmyname

Reaction score
Thanks washnshine. I’m getting a bunch of quotes, but looking for experienced operators who can suggest pieces to me. I’ll look at that hydro mutter.

All suggestions welcomed!

washnshine

Reaction score
Thanks washnshine. I’m getting a bunch of quotes, but looking for experienced operators who can suggest pieces to me. I’ll look at that hydro mutter.

All suggestions welcomed!
Yes - it’s pretty cool. A side to side mitter and a top and side high pressure oscillation unit all in one.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Yes - it’s pretty cool. A side to side mitter and a top and side high pressure oscillation unit all in one.
Always consider operational cost when using High Pressure water. The water and electricity to run the pump is not cheap.

washnshine

Reaction score
Always consider operational cost when using High Pressure water. The water and electricity to run the pump is not cheap.
Very true. The guy who has the Pettit equipment installed as an auto -prep was able to eliminate 2 manual preppers. I would imagine this was at least an offset of the utilities cost. Any piece of equipment should work in conjunction with the rest of your tunnel to minimize or eliminate labor in certain areas of the wash process.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Earl that’s my concern too.
I’m looking at redoing my tunnel and am considering the Pettit 360 as a entry prep.
Is there anyone on the Forum that uses the Pettit 360 that can give me the pro’s and con’s of having one?

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
A lot of operators mix and match for the tunnels. That is one of the big advantages when you build from the ground up - from scratch - you have the pick of the litter.

I know of one guy who uses all AVW equipment, but has a Pettit 360 tunnel version as an autoprep.
Another operator I know uses Mc Neil, but puts in a Belanger hydro mitter in all of his locations.
Check out all the pieces of equipment the manufacturers make - you might find certain pieces you really like, even though the majority your system might be something else.
Sonny’s is great -there is a local chain around me that is up to 30 locations and they have used Sonny’s exclusively.
There is a lot of solid stuff out there from many companies.
The problem with mixing tunnel equipment is that when there is a problem the techs/installers blame the issue on "the other guys equipment".

I built a tunnel about 10 years ago, and put in mostly Sonny's equipment, but I also put in a Macneil top brush. Well the macneil brush needs to use macneil elec eyes in order for the truck bed retract system to work. Then when I some equip issues, the sonnys techs would always blame the the fact that my tunnel has the "wrong" elec eyes and said they wouldn't work or repair my equip under warranty. Just an example.

Back4More

Equipment & Chem Supplier
Reaction score
Good to see industry partners responding. Thanks Jf.
We are also In Massachusetts and service all of New England. We would be happy to work with you. We are a 50 year old family owned car wash distributor. We have built more washes in the Northeast than anyone. More importantly, we have built more washes for the same operators than anyone. It’s easy to sell someone a wash once. It takes great service to sell more than one to the same operator. We supply the largest car wash chains in New England. Give us a call 800-395-2155 ext 2 For equipment. We are also a forum sponsor www.autowashonline.com. Our carwash building site is www.autowashmaintenance.com. I’m sure many forum members would be happy to give us great references.

Sincerely,
Ron Campagna Jr.
ronc@autowashmaintenance.com

Last edited: