What's new

Tunnel Caution Signs

TEEBOX

Reaction score
Hi, I need your help.

In my tunnel I would like to put up signs in a couple single side wind master frames on the driver side.
Particularly in areas where customers can see them. Sometimes a lot of soap hinders them to see in certain spots but I'll find spots that work.

I have the standard LED Blinking Puck sign that states: put in neutral feet of break, hands of steering, lower antenna, turn of wipers in the prep area.

Does anybody out there have a caution sign that says: we make frequent stops, blow horn if you require assistance. Something to that effect?

I ask because customers panic when we stop the conveyor?

madstack

Reaction score
I've got 2 questions. #1 If a customer is panicking, do you expect them to read a sign? If a customer gets it in their mind to go, they're gone. When our conveyor is stopped, whether by hand or the anti-collision, I'm looking down the tunnel and if it's stopped for more than an instant, I'm signalling those in the tunnel that we'll be back running soon. Maybe a low monotone like a truck in reverse or slow lights flashing would work. #2 Why the frequent stops? Maybe they're tired of waiting.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
in response to question #1 If they see the sign and that's a big IF, then it will prepare them for when we do stop the conveyor. It's another precautionary statement. I do get on the occasion idiots on their phone or just plain being high that hit the break, drive up on customers after we tell them to put it in neutral. Anybody here probably can add more incidents but I'm just pointing out a few. I also tell everyone in the tunnel we will be up in running when this happens.

Question #2, I really do not have frequent stops so maybe your right not to word it as frequent. Maybe they are tired of waiting in a express wash is correct. However, I'm trying to maintain a safe working area for my employees as well as my customers.

hkim310

Reaction score
I doubt customers would notice the signs but I do think it helps promote a safe work environment as well as it is a good practice if you ever have to go to court due to an issue in the tunnel.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You may need a sign at the entrance like mine that says;
"Read the Signs".

Thinking of adding one that says "Read the Sign that Says read the signs".

jfmoran

Reaction score
^^^ What Earl said - Customers don't read signs.

washnshine

Reaction score
A lot of conveyors have a buzzer on start up. What about a loud voice prompt throughout the tunnel when there is a conveyor stop. Something like "car wash has temporarily stopped. Keep your car in neutral and do not touch brakes or steering wheel. We'll be up and running soon"

A lot of pay stations and iba entrance signs use voice prompts because they know people do not read something as simple as start, stop or back up!

jfmoran

Reaction score
Typically when a tunnel stops, the blowers do not, so between having their windows up and the noise, it's not likely that they would hear any message.

patkelly1336

Reaction score
We have the TSS tunnel entrance sign. One side advertises our monthly plan, the top says Enjoy the Ride, and the Driver Side says car in neutral, feet off the pedals, wipers off, antennas down, and hands off steering wheel. We guide cars in and yell "Car in Neutral, Foot off the brake". And in my opinion, customers don't listen or care. Which is why we release all liability for accidents caused by customers when they steer or brake or shift into gear.